Thread: Severity of illness and disability

Severity of illness and disability

hello all

just a question regarding pip is it the severity of your illness or disability they look at for pip, people say its they way your impairments effect you you are awarded pip but not the severity of your illness or disabilities.

if you have severe disabilities and not awarded pip, what i think i trying to say is that if your severity is really bad then that goes hand in hand with impairments that effect your daily living and the descriptors for pip

any thoughts

PIP is based solely on the functional impairments caused by the claimant's disability or medical conditions.

Broadly speaking, the more severe the disability, the worse the functional impairment. However, as PIP is intended to cover additional disability related expenses, it seems reasonable for awards to be based on the level of functional impairment.

Those with fairly severe impairments who fail to get PIP have often failed to explain their functional impairments well enough to give the decision maker a clear picture of the problems they face. My experience in the forums in that those who improve the explanation of their functional impairments at reconsideration often get a more favourable decision.