Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a car please😞

Help me find a car please😞

Hi,come feb 2015 I need to renew my car,I currently have a ford cmax but my condition has got worse so I need an auto😞
    I only have limited movement which means I need quite a high car,also I use the motorway often so need comfort as well, and the last thing is I only have a max of £500 as a down payment. I've looked at the juke but it has no boot space,and I know I'm being picky but I hate the Nissan qashqai looks,am I missing something ?
    Please help anyone
    XxX

There is a new Juke out which has increased boot space - I believe it now has 350L which is more than a Ford Focus.

Anyway, if you're comparing your CMax then you'll be struggling as it's boot is huge.

As you say you do motorway miles I presume you do enough driving to warrant a diesel?

If so, you're limited to a choice of 24 cars (<£500, Auto, Diesel, not a small car or coupe), including:

Volvo V40 1.6TD Cross Country Lux £499
    Vauxhall Astra 2.0TD Estate Elite £499
    KIA Cee'd 1.6TD '2' £499
    Seat Leon 1.6TD SE Tech Pack £399
    Seat Leon 1.6TD SE Estate £399
    Skoda Rapid Spaceback 1.6TD SE £395
    Fiat 500L MPW 1.3TD Pop Star (7 seater) £295
    Hyundai i30 1.6TD Active £0

I hope that helps your search?

Personally I'd be looking more closely at the Fiat 500 MPW, Seat Leon and Volvo V40.

Good luck, and any more questions please get in touch.

Paul

A quick extra note, you don't necessarily need a high car but a high seat.
    The seating position in the CMax is quite low so you may find that a regular hatch with a height-adjustable seat comes up higher for you.

But out of the choices above only the Fiat 500 MPW meets your crossover needs!

You could ask for a Motability grant and see what they say OR if you are working contact Access For Work who may be able to help with your AP.

Thanx for your help Paul,but unfortunately I've tried most of these and I can't bend low enough to get in to them without extreme pain,I've recently stopped driving my cmax for that reason even with the seat as high as it goes.
    There are cars I can get into but they are out of my price range ( xtrail,q3,x1,touareg) they seem to have bigger doors and high enough for me to "slide" into. If I was able to drive a manual car I would have much Moore to choose from but they bump up the price so much for a auto! Can't really see a way around this if I'm honest some people are just not lucky in life and I am one of them I think?

Hi Daverave1967 is this on enhanced rate of mobility? Reason I ask is am new to this and have to get a car soon but non mobility as I didnt qualify for mobility component, and am keenly following this thread as well. Paul has given some good options and I am just comparing with what I am hoping to look at when I do have to buy. My needs are similar to yours eg need a higher seated car , cant be bending down etc so thanks for enquiring.

Hi Yvonne, yes I get the high rate DLA but it's the down payment I have to put down I can't afford,on the bigger cars the down payment is £1000 +. Also if you need an auto forget it! That's another £500/£1000 extra!
    People in our situation aren't really catered for although saying that I do think that mobility is a very good scheme .
    Hope you have better luck than me x

Hi Yvonne, yes I get the high rate DLA but it's the down payment I have to put down I can't afford,on the bigger cars the down payment is £1000 +. Also if you need an auto forget it! That's another £500/£1000 extra!
    People in our situation aren't really catered for although saying that I do think that mobility is a very good scheme .
    Hope you have better luck than me x

Quote Originally Posted by daverave1967 View Post
    Hi Yvonne, yes I get the high rate DLA but it's the down payment I have to put down I can't afford
    As Paul says, it's worth enquiring about a grant from Motability towards the Advance Payment. If you don't enquire, you will never know if they would have been able to help.

Ground Clearances

Ford CMax
    Max Seat to Ground = 66.7cm

Diesel Autos under £500
    Volvo V40 Cross Country = 64.0cm
    Vauxhall Astra = 64.0cm
    KIA Cee’d = 61.2cm
    Seat Leon = 58.1cm
    Seat Leon Estate = 60.9cm
    Skoda Rapid Spaceback = 57.7cm
    Fiat 500L MPW = 62.1cm
    Hyundai i30 = 57.4cm

As you can see I was wrong about the Fiat, I have seen it at a show and it looks like it’s taller than that, but obviously not.

Petrol Autos under £500
    Skoda Roomster 1.2 SE £0 = 64.9cm
    Citroen C3 Picasso 1.6 Exclusive £145 = 70.1cm
    Ford B-Max Titanium £295 = 66.2cm
    Honda Jazz 1.4 EX £299 = 63.3cm
    Skoda Yeti Outdoor 1.2 S £395 = 69.9cm
    Peugeot 2008 1.6 Allure £399 = 66.5cm
    Nissan Juke 1.6 Tekna £449 = 69.8cm
    Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 SE £499 = 67.4cm

If you are after a Diesel Auto then your best option is to try for a grant of some kind, if you’re happy with a Petrol Auto then the best from the above list (by far) is the Skoda Yeti, which consistently tops the car magazine survey charts.

If you want to search other cars be sure to look at Rica - http://www.rica.org.uk/content/car-search and search for either a particular car’s Factsheet or do an advanced search using your requirements.

The cars you have mentioned, X1, Q3, Touareg are all very expensive cars and so will be expensive on Motability too - I'm surprised the X1 suited though as the maximum seat height is much lower than the CMax at 62.2cm. I test drove it and found the driving position at odds with the car, you're almost laid down (like on most BMWs) not what I expected from an SUV.

I had to put most of my AP on a 0% credit card and paid it off over 12 months, I'm not saying you should do the same but if you want an expensive car you'll have to find some way to pay for it.

The Petrol Autos listed above are reasonably priced which is why they have lower APs.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Paul, I'm amazed that you have researched this for me and I thank you very much,
    I'm sorry but I'm not ready to be seen driving a skoda yeti every time I see one I expect to see coco the clown get out LOL.
    Great idea about the 0% credit card but I don't work because of my condition and can't get credit. It looks like I'll have to wait till prices come down I'm hoping next year will be better��