Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum amount to live on

Minimum amount to live on

I know there is an amount but can't find it on-line anywhere, does anyone know please ?

The reason I am asking is because I received Direct Payments and had my financial assessment from the council on friday and they say that i will have to start paying £70 per WEEK for my care.

I gave a huge list of DRE'S (disabilty related expenses) but they aren't interested unless it's on THEIR list of DRE'S.

i live on my own and feel that they have taken more than they should which leaves me below the amount the government say you have to live on. They also have to leave you a buffer of 25%

I would appreciate any thoughts/help

many thanks

bump............................

nice to see you back andyp, dont know your answer sorry, but maybe you could cut back on some of the care they are going to give, yes sounds pointless having it if you cant get what you need.

Hi AP, despite numerous letters etc from the DWP saying minimum required amount to live on, as far as I know there is no legally defined or agreed minimum required amount to live on, so it seems somewhat meaningless for this phrase to be so frequently bandied about by the government. Maybe Flymo will know , if he is about.

Watched a programme last night about the heaviest man in UK, who had a gastric band fitted in attempt to lose weight as at 56 stone he was totally bed bound etc. he had a direct care package of 12 hours care per day and 2 Carers who worked 12 hour day shifts. The council were keen for him to have the gastric band as his care package was costing £100,000 per annulment.

A couple of days after his surgery while still in hospital recovering and still not strong or light enough to stand up on his own, one of his Carers brought in a letter from the council to say his package had now been halved to 6 hours per day. So they didn't allow any time whatsoever before cutting his care hours. He was really distressed and as a result lost his 2 regular Carers who moved to other positions.

Did they give any reason for cutting your hours? Hopefully someone will be able to help or advise. Is it possible to reduce some of your expenses which they don't recognise until you find out whether they are right or not in their calculations.

This is a matter I'd have to investigate and I'm not currently well enough to do so.

If it turns out there's no statutory definition of disability related expenses, the council's policy will be important. There is a framework of public law within which a public body must exercise their discretion. It would be worth the original poster asking the council for a copy of their policy.

Give me half an hour and I will check how much my daughters has gone up and see if I can post anything which may help from the paperwork she received
    Sea Queen

Ok I have scanned some information sent from our local council regarding daughters co - funding which has increased to £141. 56 per month. In our county Derbyshire the amount has increased from £27.22 per week to £35.39 per week.
    It says that daughters is based on her having a weekly income of at least £190.50 as she was born after 1952.
    Obviously different councils may have different ways of working this out.
    I have hopefully attached some papers which I was sent on how to calculate what should be paid.
    Not sure if any of this helps but I have to admit your D/P's do seem very high.
    Obviously the attachments will need to wait for approval before they will hopefully show.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sea queen; 09-09-14 at 12:39.
    Sea Queen

Seaqueen
    I'd be interested in seeing the attachments. I've no idea how the LA work out the calculations and I know they disregard a percentage of the income and others are means tested, but it seems having any private pensions or savings is not worth it if you need care. Can you send them to me in a PM, thanks.
    Last edited by RubyRed; 09-09-14 at 19:40. Reason: mispelling

rubyred just double left click on the image and it will ask where you want it to download to, you can then view as big as you like on your pc

Hi AP, just to add that on my daughters letter it stated that although they had put her contributions up it was expected that she still kept the current level of care and that she shouldn't cut it down
    Sea Queen