Thread: Watch out there's a thief about

Watch out there's a thief about

Just had an unusual experience. I was sat in my dining area when two youths entered my garden. They were pretending to look for something in my garden but were also checking to find out if anyone could see them.

It was my downstairs window that was open and they couldn't see anyone inside - until they saw me at the last minute.

Don't leave rooms unattended with a window ajar. You may think you live in a safe area but that doesn't stop opportunists walking the streets.

Be careful out there - if you have contents insurance you're not covered if a thief just walks in.

Also it's a timely message Lighttouch as the nights are fast drawing in. Now is the time to check any security lights etc are working correctly. Be safe folks.

Scary experience, hope you are ok. There had been a few break in, in my area recently. I am always double checking, when I am locking up in the evenings.

You will live in a dodgy area LT

Only joking, hope you are ok.

May be a call to 101 ?

TheAmazingAtheist
    I normally keep my curtains closed, except when I am cooking something and I always lock the door when I go out =)

The situation you describe may well be attempted burglary, contrary to section 9(1)(a) Theft Act 1968 and section 1 Criminal Attempts Act 1981. They didn't get into the building, so it cannot be burglary, but entering your garden could well be an act more than merely preparatory to entering your house as a trespassers with intent to commit theft, which is attempted burglary.

If they caused any damage getting into the garden, there's also a possible offence of causing criminal damage.

Hi LT,

As andypandy says ring 101 and let the police know there are dodgy characters casing houses in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingAtheist View Post
    I normally keep my curtains closed, except when I am cooking something and I always lock the door when I go out =)
    My doors are always locked when I am in!
    Just don't trust anyone.
    Sea Queen

We never leave windows open at night. We close them and lock them!

I even lock the front and back door during the day. We've had people try our door handle in the middle of the day before! That's bloody Nottingham for you...

Try living next door to a pub.
    Door always locked to stop numpties trying to wander into my house for a pint.

Get drunken idiots banging on the door after midnight demanding to be let in for another drink.
    And then arguing because I tell them to do one.
    That plastered they can't tell the difference between a house door and a pub. LOL.