Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready meals delivered to your door

Ready meals delivered to your door

Not sure where was best to put this as it doesn't seem an obvious fit for any particular forum so I plumped for here.

As I'm not able to prepare and cook a meal most days (on work days at least) I'm looking into options for mail order meals. Obviously I can buy ready meals from the supermarket but the ingredients list on most is scarily unhealthy and I require a gluten free diet so it can be difficult to find suitable meals. So I'm looking online for frozen meals that I can have delivered. Preferably healthy, home cooked meals.

I have found this site which appeals as the ingredients seem good and like a meal you'd cook yourself

http://www.readycookedmeals.co.uk/

This range has pretty good feedback and I can buy from a garden centre fairly local to me. Slightly less good ingredients list but most seem better than your average ready meal and the couple that I've tasted were pretty good

http://www.cookfood.net/

I also know about Wiltshire farm foods and Oakhouse foods - I may try these as the idea of a whole meal on a plate that can just be heated up appeals, although they are pretty standard ready meals when you look at the ingredients and I suspect they will not be the best taste wise. I wouldn't want to rely on them but it might be worth keeping a couple in the freezer.

Does anyone have feedback on any of the above or have any other suggestions? Traditional meals on wheels is no good to me as I am out at work during the day. I just need something very easy to prepare when I get in from work. I've been relying on cold salad/deli type food that I can eat straight from the fridge over the summer but I'm starting to want more hot meals now that the weather's turning cooler.

Just bumping as it's taken so long for this to appear it's halfway down the forum from the start!

I've actually found a couple more online places since I posted that look potentially interesting

http://www.cotswoldtraiteur.co.uk/

http://www.chefonboard.com/

would be good to have personal recommendations though.

I hope this doesn't take another 2 days to appear!

Personally I use http://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/ as I find the excellent, Scrummy Meals, the deliveries on time and they will deliver anywhere on the UK Mainland FREE no matter how small or Large your order is. There is No Contract and No Minimum order.

Since I live on the North Coast of Scotland it is nice to be treated like everyone else and not get charged extra for delivery due to my geographical position.

I actually get my next order from http://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/ on Wednesday and it is always the same driver, so we know and trust him now, and he carry's everything into the and right into the kitchen. He is always ready for a chat and is quite happy to put everything in the freezer for me. Great service from a great company and I Highly Recommend them.

Oh yes one other thing I find they have the biggest choice and the best for prices.

catlover since you said you require meals that are Gluten Free here is a link to a page from wiltshire foods, it is for a chicken & vegetable casserole and it is gluten free and it is only £2.95. There is a huge range of meals that are Gluten Free.

http://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/fr...-casserole_259
    Last edited by Kodiak; 08-09-14 at 16:59.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Interesting. I guess I'm lucky as I have no allergies to any food. However, in my former office I worked with people who had special dietary needs including gluten free.

That aside . . . And I was introduced to the best shop in the North West for people with special dietary requirements by a glamorous feminine vegan woman who was bi-sexual although she thought she was a Lesbian for a while. Then she met me. Yes, we dated for a few years - what a cook! Nothing is new to Lighttouch!

The shop is supplied by independents. Parking with Blue Badge on side road. Lift to basement funky cafe with wonderful hot filling food that's cheap. Hippie feel to the whole place.
    http://8thday.coop

You'll love it! You can eat curries and Turkish food without problems I believe.

Nothing helpful to say, but would be interested to hear how you get on. I'm eating rubbish diet at the moment, because I can't seem to manage to get my act together. So healthy proper food that's pre-prepared would be amazing!!

Just wondering if it would be practical to pay someon for a few hours to batch Cook meals you want , then freeze them for you. You could provide the ingredients , via online ordering and delivery and all you'd need to pay is the cost of the persons time and electricity. There may be someone local who would like the chance of a few hours paid work cooking.

SFU what a great idea!

'Come on good lookin' .... what you got cookin'

good to know that you like the Wiltshire farm foods, Kodiak. the meal reviews on the site seem fairly positive but I've also read some pretty bad reviews online about the meals. I suppose the only way is to try them and form my own opinion. Some of them do sound nice and they do a good range of gluten free meals. I'm not too keen on the ingredients though so wouldn't want to eat them every day. I think I will put in a small order with both Wiltshire farm foods and oakhouse foods to see what they are like. Then over the next few months I will perhaps try some of the other more gourmet ones I've found.

I feel a spreadsheet coming on here

edit - I've just placed an order with Wiltshire farm foods. I did a bit of a fantasy shop and was going to wait until payday next week before ordering but as you can pay the driver in cash on delivery I thought I'd just go for it. I've ordered about 2 weeks worth of main meals - a variety of dishes including meat ones and veggie ones. They are being delivered next Wednesday. I am going to create a spreadsheet and record my opinion re taste, value for money etc. I notice that there are several dishes that oakhouse foods also do and they seem almost identical so if I order from Oakhouse next month I can do a direct comparison
    Last edited by catlover; 09-09-14 at 16:14.

It will exciting when they arrive, you'll have so much choice about what to eat!

My mom gets the wiltshirefarmfoods as she is 85 and due to health problems cant be trusted in the kitchen! Not with pans and oven anyway! She has a moan, but at least you know you/they are getting ONE good meal a day.
    Another option is to look online and see if organisations are running a lunch club....they often do a pick-up and its aimed at getting folks OUT the house and meeting others...with cooked meals as well.
    Check on your LA's website and see who delivers local as well. It may vary from place to place.