Thread: LHA rates, ESA with Enhanced Disability Premium

LHA rates, ESA with Enhanced Disability Premium

Very confused about all this. Looking to move out of my 1 bed council flat and into a privately rented house. I live alone and I'm nearly 32. Receiving Contribution based ESA, I believe.

From what I've read so far, I think if I was receiving Severe disability premium instead of just Enhanced disability premium, I would be entitled to a higher LHA rate and might have a chance of affording a private rental.

I think I just want someone to tell me I'm wrong about this... I really want out of the hell I'm living in.

You can qualify for both the Enhanced Disability Premium and the Severe Disability Premium so long as you meet the qualifying criteria for each premium.

Assuming you are between 16 and State Pension age, you would need to have the PIP Daily Living component or the DLA Care component (at the middle or highest rate) as well as meeting other conditions to qualify for Severe Disability Premium.

As you are an existing social housing tenant, you might be able to swap your current property with another property if both you and the other tenant agree to swap.

I would certainly investigate exchanging properties before giving up your council tenancy.

I agree with Flymo, I would be very reluctant to give up a secure tenancy
    If you are unable to do an exchenge and you have circumstances that you need to move away from (sounds as though you do) can you not discuss this with your tenency officer and request a transfer to suitable accomodation

hello i am new on the forum my question is can you Severe Disability Premium.as i am Receiving Contribution based ESA, on pip full Daily Living component and full motor ability i do not claim carer allowance i have two children 16/14 and my wife works full time regards palmer

The premiums are only part of means tested benefits, such as Income Related ESA and Housing Benefit. They are not part of Contributions Based ESA.

As you have a partner working full time, it's near certain you will not qualify for Income Related ESA. Unless you qualify for Housing Benefit, I can't see any way you can benefit from the premiums.

thank you for your reply we do not get housing benefit, i just like to say how good i fined this forum regards palmer

glasgowadviser
    if your under 35 you usually get the shared rate figure used within your housing benefit calculation. if you have middle or high rate care dla then you can get the single room rate.