Thread: Blind mans dilema

Blind mans dilema

I've been thinking

been registered blind since 1984, trained to use a white stick, could have had a guide dog, but chose the cane,

I receive HRM MRC of DLA Indefinite award, and in the Support Group of ESA CB,

When DLA rules change (2010) so that I met the criteria for HRM due to my Blindness, DWP contacted me and placed me in the HRM NO assesment required.

In 2 weeks time I will be 65yo and will claim my state Pension

DWP will invite me to apply for PIP sometime after Oct 2015 could even be 2016/17/8, who knows, I will be over 66yo then.

I have studied the PIP descriptors and scored 30 points for care and obviously 12 for Mobility.

My Dilema

Do I submit a change of circumastances, ( today, while I am still 65yo, why wait maybe 3 years,) so as to trigger a PIP assesnebt as I Know DWP will not inform me of meeting the PIP criteria as they did for the HRM DlA award.

I just don't know what to do,

You can volunteer to transfer to PIP at any time so long as you are in an area where "natural reassessment" is live. If you volunteer, you must complete the PIP process all the way to a decision, as your DLA award will be cancelled if you fail to complete the PIP process.

To check whether you are in a "natural reassessment" area, check the PIP postcode map. There is a text only version if you click on the link in the previous sentence.

The only other way you could move to PIP, irrespective of what area you are in, would be to close your DLA claim and make a new claim for PIP. If you did this, PIP would be paid from the date of claim (not a date after you are notified of the decision), but you would receive no DLA or PIP after closing the DLA claim until a PIP decision is made.

Thank you Flymo

Yes, natural reassessment is live in my area since Oct 2013,

would I just ring PIP and ask to volunteer for PIP forms / phone call, do I need to give a reason,

as I see it, ( in my head ) at some point in the next few years I will have to go through the Pip assessment so why not now,

Do I rock the boat or not ?

Rock the boat as the best form of defence is attack!

Just go for it!

If you decide to volunteer to transfer to PIP, I'd start by calling the DLA helpdesk on 0345 712 3456 to enquire how to start the process. If they cannot help, call the PIP helpdesk on 0345 850 3322 for advice.

You might find the sticky PIP thread useful in making your decision and, if you decide to go ahead, in supporting you through the PIP process.

Have just rang the DLA number to enquire regarding volounteering for PIP,

the DWP advisor said I could not do this, I questioned his answer, he said if I applied for PIP my DLA would stop,

no I said do not agree with that, asked him to please look on gov.uk, also asksed for his name again, said he would look

phone went quiet for a few moments, he came back and said yes you can self select / volounteer, with no loss of DLA, said he did nor know this as he has never had anyone volounteer before.

If I start the PIP ball rolling today by making the phone call, will the PIP start from today or from the day a descion is made ?
    Last edited by Popeye; 12-09-14 at 12:50.

Well done pointing out his error, at least HE has learned something now.

It annoys me when they give an answer like his first one, if they don't know for sure they should say so and look it up.
    I also don't like the implied threat that money will stop. They tend to use this too much.

I wonder how many people have taken their wrong answers as being true because its the DWP and they say it in a firm voice?

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Well done pointing out his error, at least HE has learned something now.

It annoys me when they give an answer like his first one, if they don't know for sure they should say so and look it up.
    I also don't like the implied threat that money will stop. They tend to use this too much.

I wonder how many people have taken their wrong answers as being true because its the DWP and they say it in a firm voice?
    very true

I would not have questiond his answere if I had not been in the Yourable forums and discussed it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Have just rang the DLA number to enquire regarding volounteering for PIP,

the DWP advisor said I could not do this, I questioned his answer, he said if I applied for PIP my DLA would stop,

no I said do not agree with that, asked him to please look on gov.uk, also asksed for his name again, said he would look

phone went quiet for a few moments, he came back and said yes you can self select / volounteer, with no loss of DLA, said he did nor know this as he has never had anyone volounteer before.

If I start the PIP ball rolling today by making the phone call, will the PIP start from today or from the day a descion is made ?
    Congratulations on sticking up for the truth. I try my best to provide accurate advice.

If you volunteer, the PIP award applies from shortly after the decision is made - the same timing applies as any other 'natural reassessment', as described in the sticky thread (click to link).

Many thanks Flymo,

I will think all this over, over the weekend and make my mind up on Monday,

rang the PIP helpline number this afternoon, they knew I could volounteer and not loose my DLA, also said it will take 28 weeks to go through the claim for PIP, start to finish.

so no backdated money for the 28 weeks, thinking only waiting 28 weeks is better (for me) than waiting 1 year 2 years, because it is going to happen in the future, I like things behind me and forgotten about, instead of infront of me worrying when the letter to apply for PIP arrives.