Thread: My PIP claim results, but few questions if anyone can help. Thanks

Thumbs up My PIP claim results, but few questions if anyone can help. Thanks

I put a claim in for pip on 11th oct 2013 and had my ATOS assessment on 14th aug 2014, was informed at the time that it can take upto 8 weeks for the decision from the DM at dwp, so I was expecting a long wait but was surprised that on the 26th aug 2014 I recieved my decision in the post, outcome was.

Standard rate care
    Enhanced mobility

I was awarded 17 points for mobility and 11 points for daily care.

My questions are;

1) Is it worth asking them to reconsider the care points as I understand only need 1 more point for enhanced care rate?
    2) Is it possible to ask them to reconsider just one part of it or will they reconsider both parts?.
    3) Do they suspend current payments until a decision is made?
    4) I have now applied for carers allowance will they back date it to begining of the pip claim as couldn't apply for it until decision was made by dwp I was informed at the time?.

On a happier note my bank account is looking alot healthier with the back pay worth the wait although it doesn't make up for time without it struggling daily financially pleased it's over.

Thanks in advance

Andy

A reconsideration would be for both components. The chances are that if you offer no new evidence for the Mobility component, they will reach the same conclusion. Even if you lose a few Mobility points, it doesn't matter anyway, so long as you hang on to 12.

It's certainly worth looking for arguments for an extra Daily Living point, which would give you enhanced rate Daily Living. A reconsideration submission should be specific, attempting to explain why you qualify for a higher scoring descriptor on one or more of the Daily Living activities.

There's some suggestions about how to handle reconsideration in the sticky PIP thread, about five posts in. Hopefully that will get you started.

If you ask for reconsideration, the initial decision remains active until the reconsideration has taken place.

If your carer applies for Carer's Allowance within 3 months of the date of your PIP award letter, Carer's Allowance can be backdated to the start day of the PIP award or the day the carer first met the Carer's Allowance conditions (caring for the disabled person for at least 35 hours per week, earning no more than £100 per week), whichever is the later.

Thank you Flymo your help is much appreciated. Andy