Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the road for paper tax disc

End of the road for paper tax disc

From October 2014 motorists will no longer have to display their road tax disc in the windscreen of their vehicles. Even though the paper disc is to be scrapped motorists will still be paying Vehicle Excise Duty but the treasury claims that there will also be savings of £20  million for Britain’s hard-pressed motorists as a result of changes to the way car tax can be paid.

The number of windscreens checked for tax discs by officers has dropped 75 per cent in the last five years, thanks to the electronic vehicle register that is used by both traffic police and the DVLA. A police source said ‘the tax disc is no longer needed for enforcement purposes, the police use numberplate recognition equipment. If they pull you over they can immediately tap into this database and see whether the car is taxed and insured and what the driver ought to look like.’ Officials said that both the police and the Post Office have ‘indicated their support’ for the abolition of the tax disc. But it is thought that some sub-postmasters could suffer as they rely on customers renewing their car tax. The online process is already in action so drivers can renew online.

Road tax is calculated based on the carbon emissions of the vehicle, there are thirteen different bands with annual duties ranging from £0 to £490 and even up to £1,065 for gas guzzlers in their first year on the road.

One thing which will most definitely be a plus for motorists will be the choice of paying the vehicle excise duty by monthly direct debit. It is always a bill that has had to be paid in full and on time so this will be a welcome addition. It will also be cheaper to pay for a six month period due to a 10 per cent surcharge it can currently cost £55 for a half-year disc or £100 for a year. Under the reforms, the charge will be reduced from 10 to 5 per cent, reducing an identical six-month period to £52.50. Paying monthly will also attract a 5 per cent rather than a 10 per cent charge.

Vehicle tax was introduced in the 1888 budget and the current system of excise duty applying specifically to motor vehicles was introduced in 1920. The tax disc was introduced in 1921, with a plain design of black ink on grey paper which drivers had to cut out themselves. Colour was introduced in 1923.

A Treasury spokesman said ‘this is a visual symbol of how we are moving government into the modern age and making dealing with government more hassle free.’ So the paper tax disc will become something of the past, together with so many others, will we miss it probably not, might be worth holding on to one just for a memento!

The big change in the new system is that tax automatically ends when a vehicle is sold or otherwise disposed of, with the registered keeper automatically receiving a refund for full unused months remaining.

Anyone acquiring a car should tax it immediately.

Exemption certificates are now bound to the registration of the car they are first applied to. If you change your car, you need to get a new exemption certificate from DWP. Presumably, once the new tax disc less system starts, using a replacement exemption certificate will automatically cancel the exemption on the previous car.

My father tried to tax his yesterday the website wasn't working
    Anytime anybody is rude, it makes me double-check my own behaviour to make sure I don't do that to other people.

My last ever paper tax disc arrived in the post this morning. I have used the online method since it became available. Very easy and quick to do.
    I went to the post office to get a secure tax disc holder. Sadly because of the new system, the post master did not order any more secure tax disc holders.
    Traffic wardens will be frustrated not being able to nab people for out of date tax discs.

I have been using the online system to pay the VED on my wife's car and my classic car for several years now, the only difference will be the ability to pay using direct debit (although you'll still incur a 5% charge for doing so).

I do usually pay my wife's bill in one go, but decided on 6 months this time so that we could start paying by direct debit as soon as possible. Her disc expires at the end of October, so good timing, it isn't a cheap car to pay for either so I will be happy spreading the cost.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Given that this all comes in to effect in October, is that if you buy in October of if your new tax disc runs from October (therefore bought end September)? My tax disc runs out end of September and as I won't have a PIP decision by then it'll be off to the Post Office to buy a new tax disc - will I be given a new paper disc? will the option for paying by direct debit be open to me?

The paper Vehicle Excise Licence (Tax Disc) is not the only paper motoring document to shortly disappear.

From the 1st of January 2015, the paper counterpart of the Driving Licence Photocard will also be abolished.

Details from Gov.UK here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

From the above link:

What this means for you

You do not need to take any action, just keep your current photocard driving licence.

If you have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, this change won’t affect you, and you should keep your licence.

The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.

Entitlements, penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change.

What to do with your paper counterpart from January 2015

If you don’t think you’ll need it, then you may destroy it. You should not destroy the counterpart before 1 January 2015.

You’ll still be able to use the counterpart driving licence to change your address with DVLA. You can also change your address online.

''DVLA is developing a new digital enquiry service for launch later this year that will allow organisations and businesses (such as employers and car hire companies) to view information they can currently see on the driving licence counterpart''.

Paul

Could your car tax disc be worth £1,000?
    Paper tax discs, which end in October, could become highly sought-after

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...orth-1000.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Could your car tax disc be worth £1,000?
    Paper tax discs, which end in October, could become highly sought-after

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...orth-1000.html
    Can't see it being as popular as stamp collecting I was going to keep the one I've just put on my own car..."last tax disc I ever bought "
    Motability vehicle history....
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift), 2018 Renault Master MWB (Braun taillift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

Things like this get valuable to collectors exactly because 99.99% get thrown away after they expire.

Imagine if you get the last one ever issued; what will that be worth to an automotive collector?