Thread: ESA and going away from home

ESA and going away from home

Hello all

Just wondered how many people on this forum inform the DWP if they are going away from home for a few days or for longer, when they are in receipt of ESA (either group). When you inform the DWP what do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello all

Just wondered how many people on this forum inform the DWP if they are going away from home for a few days or for longer, when they are in receipt of ESA (either group). When you inform the DWP what do you say?
    I didn't realise you have to inform DWP. I never did, when I went away few weeks ago. Depending if you are going aboard.

If you are on ESA, income or contribution based, then you can go abroad and still claim for up to 4 weeks, but you should tell the Jobcentre.

If you are on contribution based ESA then you can claim for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child.
    Again tell the jobcentre.

You can get contribution based ESA for over a year in the European Economic Area and Switzerland if you are "eligible" and have paid enough NI contributions. (In practice this probably means Support Group).

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

Holidays in the UK do not seem to be covered by specific legislation.
    I should think that as long as you are contactable, mobile phone?, then you should be OK.
    If in doubt tell the JC that you will be at such an address for such a time, that way you're covered.
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-08-14 at 16:17.