Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good idea to move house financially.

Is it a good idea to move house financially.

Would it be financially viable for two people with learning disabilities and other mental health problems who both get medium and high rates of DLA between us to rent a two bedroom house, say £500 a month, would housing benefit cover the cost or would there be a shortfall? Whats the maximum housing benefit available?

Currently we're being provided housing by a supported living scheme for people with learning disabilities. I get 21 hours one to one support and access to 55 shared hours between three other people. The problem is me and another house mate (who roughly gets the same hours as me) want to move out because we are having problems with the complex manager. Our housing benefit of £187 a week is paid in full by housing benefit.

We are thinking about going direct payments and getting out own staff team, the complex here has a high staff turnover and we get staff from other properties who we don't know just turn up to support us.

Any agency may give a high turn over of staff. If you go for Direct Payments you would need to make sure that you have a team large enough to cover for each other during holidays and illness. Are you under a 'Safe Care' scheme
    Sea Queen

Go for direct payments and take control of your lives. That way you employ staff who you select and can fire if ned be.

I can't see why you two can't live together without support.

Good on you. Where there's a will there's a way.

They're will be three of us going direct payments, another services user is sick of (care provider) as well and will be going direct payment with us so that would be (hopefully) three 30 hour positions shared equally between us, She already has a small one bedroom flat. I going to ask my social worker on Tuesday about moving.

I've been here two and a half years and seen 12 member of staff come and leave

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Any agency may give a high turn over of staff. If you go for Direct Payments you would need to make sure that you have a team large enough to cover for each other during holidays and illness. Are you under a 'Safe Care' scheme

Sorry that should have read 'safe guarding'
    Sea Queen

I'm under the learning disability team (CLDT)

As you would likely need to be reassessed anyway on leaving the housing scheme, it might be worth enquiring with Social Services if they can give you an idea of your entitlement to Direct Payments in the community and can get hold of the relevant Local Housing Allowance figures for you (assuming a private let).

This is going to need some thought to do correctly, as you might all need to be joint tenants to maximise Housing Benefit entitlements and entitlement to Severe Disability Premium. However, such an arrangement has implications for security of tenure of one of you decides to leave and world also need an accommodating landlord.

This is definitely a situation where you need individual advice to ensure the correct arrangements are reached. The number of variables make it far from simple.

Rather than going the whole hog with a private or social housing let, I wonder if it would be worth asking if there is any possibility of the three of you moving to somewhere similar to where you live now but where you all have your own care packages funded by Direct Payments rather than being subject to the substandard service you're receiving from the provider where you live. There might be an option to live somewhere similar but with your own care package.

It would also be worth telling Social Services how unhappy you are with the staff turnover and quality of service where you are. They're paying a lot of money for something that sounds most unsatisfactory.

The care provider we're under basically has the monopoly in this town so their isn't much option of moving into another supported living complex. As it is at the moment we all have a full tenancy with a housing association and the care is provided by a care company (The care company used to provide both housing and care but this isn't allowed anymore, they both have to be separate)

We will both need tenancy agreements so it doesn't look like we're living as a couple if we go private.

So what you're saying is that you and one other want to rent a two bed flat in a private flat as two individuals.

I think the rules are different to social landlord tenancy agreements.

The private landlord might be an 'accredited landlord' who agrees to play by the Council's rules but you both may well be asked to take out a 'joint tenancy' as you would both have responsibility for paying the landlord your combined rent.

I should talk to your social worker or case worker and housing advisor. Direct Payments is only for social care, it won't cover your rent.
    If you are 2 single ppl, not a couple, then you may find a house share a bit cheaper.
    I know its expensive and I too am looking to rent but you may find private landlords turn you down cuz your on HB. and because of disabilities. They aren't supposed to, but they DO and it can make finding place difficult