Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advised to apply for blue badge yet only have 4 points for mobility

Advised to apply for blue badge yet only have 4 points for mobility

Hi just to check with you guys. I went to CAB advisor meeting with hep with my mandatory reconsideration. She then advised that i apply for the blue badge and would not need to wait for the reconsideration result. However on checking the website it states as one of the conditions that you need to have 8 points for mobility?

Has anyone had to apply for a blue badge under the new regulations on PIP?

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne76 View Post
    Hi just to check with you guys. I went to CAB advisor meeting with hep with my mandatory reconsideration. She then advised that i apply for the blue badge and would not need to wait for the reconsideration result. However on checking the website it states as one of the conditions that you need to have 8 points for mobility?

Has anyone had to apply for a blue badge under the new regulations on PIP?

You don't need to wait for an outcome of your reconsideration before applying for a Blue Badge - you don't need to have DLA/PIP at all.

You will most likely be assessed by a medical assessor who will determine if you qualify for the Blue Badge or not.

8 points on PIP means you automatically qualify for the badge, this way just means you can't get it automatically.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I've replied in your other thread. I reach the same conclusions as Paul.

I got my Blue badge before i was receiving Esa or Dla and i wish i had known years ago that you didnt need to be getting Dla to apply for one again it was CAB who told me to apply for it .
    Anytime anybody is rude, it makes me double-check my own behaviour to make sure I don't do that to other people.

Ok thank you all for the advice. Yes Flymo thank you for some reason it posted twice I may have pressed again when it seemed nothing was happening but thank you will proceed with the application then thanks again to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    8 points on PIP means you automatically qualify for the badge, this way just means you can't get it automatically.
    Just as point of clarification, which PIP activities you score your points on matters, as Blue Badge entitlement does not depend on the overall Mobility score.

For entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment, you need 8 or more points on the PIP "moving around" activity.

In Scotland and Wales, 12 points on the PIP "planning and following journeys" activity is an alternative route to entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment. This route is not available in England.

Anyone who does not have entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment can apply via the assessment route.

To apply for a blue badge you'll probably have to do it online as most authorities have switched over to that method of applying, although most have systems in place to help those who are unable to use a computer or do not have internet access. If so, make sure you fill out the form fully and carefully remembering that only physical problems causing walking difficulties can be considered for a blue badge. You must be unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty walking. The way an authority decides whether someone meets the criteria may vary between authorities but it might help you to have a read of the guidance for local authorities

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance-paper.pdf

I have some involvement in blue badge applications as part of my job and it's very frustrating when people fill the form out in such a way that there is no choice but to reject the application or refer them for a mobility assessment because of what they say when various other factors indicate they may be eligible. Remember that just like PIP the person reading the application doesn't know you so you need to paint a picture of the problems that you have when walking. Authorities vary in what proportion of people they send for a mobility assessment and due to cost most can't refer everyone who applies under the without further assessment route (the guidance stipulates that there is no need for an IMA where the applicant is clearly eligible or not eligible) so a well thought out application is your best bet for not having to undergo one. Be clear about what your problems are, how far you can walk (exaggeration is often apparent in applications - keep it real!) and avoid inconsistencies (for example saying no to experiencing breathlessness in one section of the form then yes in a later section). Make sure your problems with walking can be related to a permanent condition and are reasonable (for example if you say you experience severe breathlessness you would normally be expected to have a condition that is known to cause breathlessness).

If you do have to go for an IMA (independent mobility assessment) these are not as detailed as PIP assessments. You won't be physically examined but you will be asked to walk so that the assessor can get an idea of your problems with walking. The assessments are usually carried out by physiotherapist or occupational therapist (or sometimes nurses) but the idea of the assessment is that they are looking at the effect of your condition on your ability to walk and they are pretty good at sussing out when people are putting it on a bit so just be how you are normally and explain any variation in your walking ability and why it varies. I have undergone an IMA for my badge with one authority and sat in on some for the authority I work for. Both were very similar in the way that they were carried out and the physio that does the ones where I work does them for another authority too. So I think most authorities follow the same format for them.

Thank you all for your responses. I did apply for it and it was turned down. Reason given was that I do not have the required 8 points for mobility. I would have contested it if possible if they had given any other reason but it just clearly states that i simply would not qualify on that basis only. So maybe PIP has changed things around with some councils?

I am hoping to get a favourable response with my mandatory reconsideration ( I called yesterday just to check if they have received it and they have it but said it can tale up to 12 weeks ( ?? ) to get a response. This would then mean would apply on the mobility route with the standard rate of 8 points

Paul hope you are feeling much better hey had sent you an email before seeing your response on my other thread that you had been unwell.
    Last edited by yvonne76; 09-09-14 at 16:47.

They should not turn you down solely because you do not qualify without further assessment (e.g. having 8 or more points for moving around in PIP), although they may take that into consideration. Did they offer you a mobility assessment? If not I would appeal and request that they offer you one. A mobility assessment for a blue badge is nowhere near as intimidating as a face to face interview for PIP.

There is a bit in the guidance that states they should not turn you down soleley for this reason. On page 32 it says

An applicant should not be refused a badge solely on the grounds that they have not been awarded (or no longer receive) the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or the appropriate PIP score. In such cases, the applicant should be assessed under the 'eligible subject to further assessment' criteria. In addition, applicants should not be advised that they need to apply for DLA or PIP in order to determine badge eligibility.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance-paper.pdf

Authorities do seem to be turning people down a lot now if they are under 65 and not on the qualifying level of dla/pip. I was turned down initially but I appealed and requested a mobility assessment. At the assessment the assessor didn't bother to even ask me to walk as he could see what problems I had from observing me walk into the room. I was given a badge on appeal.

If you think you meet the criteria I would appeal and say that you only got 4 points for moving around in your PIP award but you feel that is incorrect and that you are appealing that decision, and that you would like to be considered for a blue badge under the "with further assessment" criteria. Read the guidelines and explain why you think you meet the criteria (distance walked, pain etc) and ask for a mobility assessment. Quote bits from the guidance if they relate to your problems when walking. You may still be refused but it's worth asking because I think a lot of people are being turned down because they are not on dla/pip and are not being properly assessed under the "with further assessment" criteria. My initial refusal letter referred to dla and at the assessment the assessor did go on about PIP a lot.

As catlover says, you should not have been turned down based on your PIP score without a mobility assessment. I suspect the council are trying to save money on mobility assessments by not offering them to people who have been recently assessed for PIP and do not qualify for a Blue Badge based on PIP. However, it is perfectly possible to meet the Blue Badge criteria and score 4 points for "moving around" on PIP.

Yvonne - it would be good if you felt able to appeal the council's decision to make the point to the council that they are not applying the guidance correctly. Indeed, though I would not argue this, the council's refusal of your application without offering an assessment might be unlawful.

However, it would be understandable if you waited until your PIP reconsideration decision arrives in the hope that you will then have at least 8 points for "moving around".