Thread: Help and advice much appreciated

Help and advice much appreciated

Hi all,
    At present I receive ESA , and am in the support group.I was awarded this in April 2013, and was told this was for 2 years, and then would be assessed again. I'm getting anxious already about how far in advance I will receive another form to complete, as completing the previous form was very stressful, and I couldn't have coped without the support & kindness from you all. When do you think I will receive this?. I'm also very fearful about what I've read about them making unexpected visits as I have mental health problems Bipolar Disorder, ocd, general anxiety ,and this would really phase me out. I also have epilepsy . Do they really not give people any advance notice?. Any help or advice to clarify things would be much appreciated, and thanks again for all previous help and support.

With ESA, you remain on the same rate until DWP complete a new assessment. The time length you've been given is a guide to what might happen, but there's no certainty as to when or even if you will receive a new ESA50.

For as long as you hear nothing, everything stays as it is.

Thanks Flymo, your reply is much appreciated.

A few more thoughts that might help.

It's a really good idea to keep a copy of everything you send DWP. Often the previous form is a really good starting point for a reassessment (ESA) or renewal (PIP or DLA), even though you need to bring your answers up to date.

I'm not sure where unexpected visits come into this, unless you are thinking of the small number of cases where people are put under surveillance because DWP have reasonable grounds to suspect benefit fraud. The first step in a reassessment is either an ESA50 dropping through the door to fill in (likely) or a new decision if DWP already have access to all the information they need (uncommon, and only usual if they are leaving you on the same rate or, if relevant, moving you from WRAG to Support Group).

The likely scenario is that nothing will happen until, at some point, an ESA50 drops through the door. If you want to prepare for that possibility, you can download an ESA50 from gov.uk and start jotting down some ideas.

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a very rough few days, thanks again for all your help Flymo, much appreciated. I don't know where I'd be without all the advice, support & kindness I've received from you all.

I think the OP has read about the DWP making unannounced visits in some cases. I have been reading anout this on another website and this is the general gist of it.
    It states on DWP website that you may get a visit to confirm you are getting the correct benefits and you may not get a letter beforehand. In reality it seems that hardly anyone gets a letter, but you are within your rights to refuse entry and ask them to make an appointmnet for another time. It seems that these visits are targeting Income related benefits claimants, such as Universal credit etc. It also states in their guidelines that these unnanounced visits should not target vulnerable claimants, such as those with mental health issues etc.
    I am not quoting facts, just what I have read from a usually reliable source, so please forgive me if I have some things wrong.
    As usual with the DWP, what they say and what they do may not always marry up.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.