View Poll Results: Which country in your opinion?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • UK

0 0%
  • Ireland

0 0%
  • Sweden

1 33.33%
  • Norway

0 0%
  • Denmark

0 0%
  • New Zealand

0 0%
  • Germany

1 33.33%
  • Austria

0 0%
  • Nederlands

0 0%
  • Other: Leave a comment on thread

1 33.33%

Thread: Which countries treats disabled people the best? Opinion Poll.

TheAmazingAtheist

Which countries treats disabled people the best? Opinion Poll.

Which countries treats disabled people the best?

Sorry to be a bit negative but how many people have visited all these countries?

How many people have tried to claim benefits in all these countries?

How can we compare without having direct experience?

I have travelled within Europe quite a bit but to none of your named destinations and to be honest have found the UK to be the best although there is more help forthcoming from the locals than what there is here. Here, many people watch you struggle, abroad they fall over themselves to help.

I came across a link which showed a breakdown of available welfare in Europe. But it's quite hard to do a straight comparison. Some countries pay minimum housing benefit, or it's time limited, some not at all. Others only pay if you've contributed to the system for the past 5 years etc. child benefit seems to be paid as standard albeit in varying amounts and often less than in the UK, but few places seem to pay tax credits which can make a huge difference. And then there's free NHS to factor in. Overall I feel the UK is pretty generous by comparison, which is probably why so many people want to migrate here. As it's a softer option.

There's also different policies in place, in Germany if unemployed more than a few months in comparison to here, the job centre can and will mandate you to turn up at a place of work to do a few days or weeks of work. No choice in the matter.

As has been said, even across the 28 EU countries there are huge differences in economic fortunes, social attitudes, welfare benefit policy, state healthcare provision, the built environment and disability awareness.

Bit of a wide ranging question that could only really be answered by people LIVING in these countries. I have limited experience and would say Rhodes (and poss Greece) has terrible kerbs (about 10ins high) and when i was planning to go to Paris plenty of people said the Metro is totally not wheelchair friendly. so i'd say they are asking the wrong question. Too broad.

Probably all have good and bad points. Maybe some countries have a better sense of community. It is the UK class discrimination system that is by far the worst in the world. Anyone on any kind of benefit is classed as a scrounger in this country.
    Many people do not claim what is entitled to them. But this rarely gets press.