Thread: Angry with LHA.

Angry with LHA.

We had a letter today from the LHA who we rent our bungalow from.
    On opening the letter it was a Final Notice Reminder about rent arrears!!!
    We were shocked and surprised to say the least as our rent is paid weekly by DD. Also, it said "further to my previous contact" , there has been no previous contact!

My partner checks his bank every Monday to confirm the rent has been taken out.
    The letter then goes on to spout off about legal action etc. (the amount is 3 weeks rent).

So, my partner telephones them and they are actually there on a Saturday, which surprised us.
    It turns out that their system has been at fault for 3 weeks. The rent has been going out of the bank, then being reversed a day later. So, of course, when we check on a Monday everything is fine, but a day later its not. My partner just thought we had been managing our money better, plus he had a small bonus from work.

The guy openly admitted it was their fault but could not explain why we had not been contacted before now as they have known about the fault for 3 weeks. He then asked if we wanted to pay the arrears over the phone. My partner said no, I do not have that sort of money (£270) to pay in one go. (I had told him not to pay any lump sum on principle as it is their fault). We explained we are more than willing to make a top up weekly payment to clear the arrears which the guy said was ok.

I will be phoing them on Monday to sort out the arrears payments and also to give them a piece of my mind about the letter. To send a basic arrears letter threatening legal action etc is totally inappropriate when it is their fault in the first place. This sort of letter would have sent me into mental panic if I had been on my own.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Typical generic letter sent out by the thousands by a computer. Same thing seems to happen with every company these days, where things are automated now to save money. Not much help to anyone who receives them, not even when an apology is issued. Sometimes I long for the days when people were involved with things instead of impersonal machines. It's called progress. Lol.

Hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.

It's funny how there is a knock on effect with computers behaiving badly.

Your so called rent arrears will activate the computer to generate a letter about arrears. It's a shame that the LHA doesn't have an officer to look at why the problem has arisen in the first place. I guess with cutbacks and staff shortages means they need to get many tasks automated despite the fact that computers aren't able to see the bigger picture.

slightly off topic but in a similar vein, early dec we had very strong winds which took down part of my fence and blew over my granddaughters swing, anyway about 4 days later a letter from LA stating breach of tenancy agreement,A recent inspection of the estate has brought the condition of your garden to my attention, which is unacceptably untidy and full of rubbish.
    YOUR HOME MAY BE AT RISK IF YOU CONTINUE TO BREACH YOUR TENANCY.
    yes a standard letter quoting all the regulations etc but it was actioned by an (In)human not a computer,needless to say they got my reply the same day by e-mail and due to physical and monetary reasons its still the same now and they havent replied to me again, they must only do inspections after stormy weather to see what evil they can inflict oh well life goes on.

What was that TV programme?

"Computer says no"

The banks are the same. If I have the temerity to go overdrawn, and the bank refuses to pay a direct debit, then they charge me £25 for the privilege. When I challenged this, I was told that it was for management time reviewing the account to decide whether to refuse the DD.

The fact that the DD and the reversal are posted to the account within a few minutes of each other, at about 4am suggests that no management time has been expended.

We have spoken to them again today and agreed to pay a top up amount on our rent to clear the arrears, We have also cancelled the direct debit and will switch to manual payments instead. (the system is still not working properly, took the rent out this morning and reversed it back into the bank almost straightaway. We said they should be making more effort to contact tenants as the system has not been working for a month now. But, at least we have got it sorted.

Keith, don't even get me started on banks. I think I am with the worst bank going.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.