Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile Bed

Profile Bed

Does anyone use a profile Bed?

I am looking towards buying one for my daughter.

I am familiar with them as I have a single one at home for use for my work with children

She would need a full profile bed as in a hospital bed.

Height adjuster, bed head raiser, feet raiser, preferably with locking castors.

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a manufacturer?
    Sea Queen

The profiling bed I have from our local community equipment service is what Invacare sell as the Medley Ergo in beech, which is fairly inexpensive (available online for £495). Mine has no cot sides because I don't need them, not being a fall risk. I do have a bed loop on the side to help haul myself out of bed.

It's not the prettiest thing, but it looks more like a piece of furniture at home than a hospital bed. It has all the functions you want and has the advantage that you can dismantle it into four sections, making it easier to move around.

The mattress has to be bought separately. I doubt your daughter has the extreme pressure issues that I do, which necessitate an alternating air mattress that's worth about three times the value of the bed! Memory foam, often described as "visco" in medical mattresses, is usually a good balance between cost and comfort, but some people find it makes for too hot a bed or don't like the way they sink somewhat into the bed.

Again, Invacare have a range of mattresses which are available at modest cost, though there are plenty of other options. I'd go towards the slightly more expensive end if you can, as the cheaper mattresses tend to be pretty awful in the long run.

N.B. I have no experience of the supplier I linked to - the links are just for an idea of pricing and do not constitute a recommendation.

Thanks Flymo, daughter has had invacare wheelchairs in the past.
    I will look at the links.
    I should have added I want a double bed and probably a mattress like the profile hospital beds as daughter is having a lot of inco probs at the moment.
    I put a waterproof sheet on for awhile put have taken it off now as it was making her sweat and causing Thrush.
    Using kaylie sheets instead.

Her OT has also said to look at Baykare so will be trawling the net, from what OT was saying I can expect to pay between 3- 4 grand???
    Sea Queen

Most medical mattresses have a waterproof but breathable cover. My continence is not always the best, but with the mattress I have I only need a stretchy cotton sheet under me, and a waterproof cover on the duvet. This is much less oppressive than needing a waterproof cover on the mattress, as I did before switching to a medical mattress.

There are far fewer double beds than singles, especially if you want both sides to profile independently. BaKare have a double, which is available in 120cm (4') or 140cm (4' 6") widths, but doesn't appear to have independent profiling (the ability to profile each side differently). It also has a relatively low 180kg load limit (mattress plus occupant plus bedclothes). Really, it seems like no more than a wider single.

My parents have an adjustable bed with independent head raise and knee break on both sides. On the advice of the supplier, it's a 5' (Queen size) frame, with two independent 2' 6" mattresses side by side. In effect, it's two 2' 6" singles bolted together. The supplier would make a 4' 6" (double size) bed, but pointed out that this resulted in very narrow 2' 3" mattresses. My parents are very happy with their 5' bed, but this sort of solution sounds unsuitable for your daughter's needs as there is no height adjustment or cot sides.

My parents' bed was made by Back Care Beds. They supply some excellent stretchy fitted sheets which stay on the mattress when you profile it, which they import from Germany. They're not cheap, but we have them on all our beds and have found them of excellent quality, which helps mitigate the price. Indeed, I found this company when looking for sheets for my profiling bed and the attention they put into a relatively low value transaction drew my parents to the company when they were looking for their bed.

They felt they got good value for money, an excellent assessment of their needs and demonstration when they went to the showroom in Southsea, and no hard sell. As I said, I don't think they can meet your bed and mattress needs, but you may want to phone to enquire about the sheets they supply.

Thanks for the added info flymo, daughter is in late 30's and may yet have another partner so it's better if i cough up for a double bed.
    Ideally though I would be looking for a bed which just operates from one side - as I'm sure any future partner wouldn't want to be lifted up during sleep lol.
    I will digest all you have sent me thank you.

Meanwhile the OT is sending out a pillow lifter for daughter to try? Are you familiar with these?
    Sea Queen

Your daughter is a similar age to me.

It's good that you're thinking of her as a whole person, including the possibility of a relationship. This seems to be something that is often overlooked, which may be one reason as to why there are so few doubles.

I live apart from my long term girlfriend, but I hope one day to marry her and settle down together, so I would be facing this problem myself. We had come to the conclusion that separate beds will probably be needed, not least as she is also ill and can need her space, but two singles is not really ideal.

A pillow lifter is a device rather like the head end of a profiling bed, though it goes on top of the mattress. It's definitely second best to a profiling bed and mattress, but it's better than nothing.

A pillow lifter can be manual or electrically operated. As it is not accompanied by a knee break, it's possible for the user's bottom to slide down the bed, limiting the utility of the pillow lifter.

Flymo I see the whole person not the disability.
    My daughter has had relationships in the past and before she moved to live alone her partners came to ours and stayed over in her room. I have no problem with it.
    She came out of a 3 year relationship a couple of years ago and although has met 2 or 3 possibilities since then, they were obviously not Mr Right!!
    I think a double is the better of the two options for my daughter.
    I do hope your plans of marriage happen flymo and that you find happiness x

Thanks for the insight of the lifter flymo we should hopefully get in next week so I will report back how daughter gets on with it.
    Sea Queen

Sea Queen - just a thought but will your Local Authority not refer your daughter to the PCT to fund a profile bed?

I'm not sure as yet RubyR. I mentioned it only last week to the OT who came to try two slide sheets with me which I had requested to help daughter onto her Lifting cushion should she fall.
    I doubt they would fund a 'double' bed though which I am intending to buy eventually for her.

Not happy yesterday as the lifting cushion should have been delivered - I was told before 2pm it never arrived. Normally on Friday we take daughter into town to meet her friend for lunch but yesterday I took her on my home whilst hubby stayed in to wait for it to be delivered - it never arrived!
    Meanwhile I had to assist daughter into a photo booth whilst in town - and have a bad back this morning so mediquip will get a phone call on Monday from a not too pleased mum!
    Sea Queen

Unusual for Mediquip, I have always had a call from them saying when the item is arriving and another 30 mins before they are due to give me time to get home. The van could have broken down which is unforeseeable but they could have let you know. My usual driver is Chris, a very pleasant helpful chap.