Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reply box keeps disappearing

Reply box keeps disappearing

Can anyone throw any light on why this is happening? Every now and then the reply box disappears when viewing on my laptop. I can't say for sure it's not happening elsewhere as I don't use other computers (namely my work pc) or my phone as often. when I go to the end of a thread there is no reply box and clicking on reply does not bring one up. I cannot post a new thread either although I can click on new post and will see the box momentarily before it disappears. I've not been able to post for the past couple of days due to this. Sometimes restarting the laptop helps but not always, and this morning the reply and new post boxes are back even though my laptop has been switched on overnight and I did not restart anything this morning. I've not changed any settings on my laptop recently. Any ideas?

are you signed in? thats happens when i DON'T sign in first

And when you do sign in tick the 'remember me' box to ensure that you stay logged in until you click the 'logout' button.

If you dont do this then the software that runs the forum (vBulletin v4.2.2) will log you out after a certain time of inactivity and you will no longer see the reply box.
    Sometimes when you are creating a long reply the software sees this as inactivity for some reason and will log you out before you get to post it. I think it does this because you are not changing pages. Again this should only happen if you haven't ticked the 'remember me' box.

yes I am logged in when this happens.

Timed out is common. I tend to type a message, copy it then try to send it. Usually it freezes so I need to sign in again, paste into box and send again.

I'm surprised your works IT section allow your computer to access this site in works time unless it's a generic computer in a chill out zone. One long term manager was caught looking up cricket scores on his works computer during core working hours - he was instantly sacked! Be careful as IT monitor every website you visit until they have compiled loads of evidence then the manager arrives at your desk and asks you to leave the premises.

Big brother is watching!

It's not timing out - the reply box is just not there sometimes. It can be missing right from the start (after switching on laptop and coming straight here) or it can start off here and then suddenly not be there. I can't fathom any pattern to it's disappearance!

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    It's not timing out - the reply box is just not there sometimes. It can be missing right from the start (after switching on laptop and coming straight here) or it can start off here and then suddenly not be there. I can't fathom any pattern to it's disappearance!
    I too normally experience this problem, so much so that I now consider this forum to be 'read only'. I'm lucky that the 'Reply to Thread' window has appeared this morning, and can only prey that this message will be posted when I hit the 'Submit Reply' button.

Chris

PS I am computer literate and I am always logged in.

I'm glad its not just me. Reply box visible at the moment but who knows how long for!

I've found it can help to log in on a different device or browser, then return to the original browser. Unfortunately this problem is intermittent and seemingly non-deterministic in nature.

It could be someting to do with your Antivirus or popup blocker settings.
    Ad-blockers also tend to have lots of unpredictable effects. I loaded one recently that did its job blocking adverts but played havoc with vBulletin based forums, soon got rid of it.

How often do you clean out your temporary files, cookies, etc?

I can recomend CCleaner for doing this job, and checking your registry for problems. The free version should be all you need for home use. Just remember to run it once a week, or once a month whichever suits you.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

If you want to go a stage further and check for nasties on your computer then also get Malwarebytes, again the free version is all you need at home, run that once a month or when you suspect that something may be wrong. (takes about 20mins for a full scan of my laptop).
    This is not an antivirus but does a a deep check for what may have got past your AV.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/