Thread: had my face to face with atos yesterday

Smile had my face to face with atos yesterday

hi I have had my PIP face to face. I wish I had checked what type of questions I would need to answer.. I didn't say to the lady doing the assessment everything I needed to the fact being I was having a anxiety attack.. but I did ask her to ignore my attack not to feed into and continue with the assessment. When she asked if I drive to work I did say yes but I didn't mention if I ever go somewhere for the first time I have to do at least 2 trial runs with my daughter or son sitting besides me help me with my anxiety about going to a strange place I cannot do the actual journey until I have set my sat nav up even though I know were im going and how long it will take, she also asked if I go on buses I said I would only get a bus if I was going into Leeds but I didn't mention I had not been into Leeds for nearly 2 years due to anxiety issues, I have other Disabilities which we discussed. I must say the assessor was very nice and kept asking if I was ok. I don't know how she will know the difficulty I have re driving. I only went yesterday so hopeful the result will come through within the next week or two... I am so anxious about this assessment. is challenging the decision a common thing. I did leave a similar post on someone else's thread so apologies to them..
    regards sue

I've just replied to many of these points in the other thread, Sue, where they seemed entirely appropriate to me.

Driving is of very questionable relevance to PIP. The "planning and following journeys" activity is explained in the PIP Assessment Guide in terms of the ability to undertake a local journey, with the only contexts mentioned being public transport and as a pedestrian / wheelchair user / scooter user. The PIP Assessment Guide is technically non-binding, but it is the official advice from DWP to the assessment providers and is likely to be followed unless there are good reasons to depart from it.

Driving, especially in a busy city, is a complex activity involving multi-tasking. It's quite tricky to isolate the task of following a journey from the overall task, and to show how your navigating performance is lower than someone without a relevant health condition for reasons connected to your health condition. Plenty of non-disabled people struggle to navigate in cities without satnav and get flustered when trying to find an unknown location.

The barrier to score points for "planning and following journeys" based on anxiety is quite high.

If you are to show "needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant", you would need to show that, on at least half of days, you cannot undertake any unaccompanied journey outside, including walking to somewhere a few doors down, without getting anxious, panicky or similar.

If you are to show "cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar/familiar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid", the person, dog or aid has to be providing active assistance to keep you on the route of a local journey. Again, the contexts would be primarily public transport and as a pedestrian / wheelchair user / scooter user. These descriptors, one about unfamiliar journeys and the other familiar journeys, are aimed mostly at people with sensory impairments, learning difficulties and cognitive impairments (such as dementia). It would be rare for someone to satisfy either of these descriptors on mental health grounds, as few people will be able to show their mental health symptoms are so severe on at least half of days as to destroy their awareness of orientation in space or location, leaving them in need of active navigation assistance.

Several people have asked about the applicability of the descriptors on following a route to mental health problems. The guidance in the PIP Assessment Guide has already been clarified to make it clear that these descriptors are narrow in compass, and merely needing someone with you who is not actively navigating is insufficient.

Hi Flymo I read your other thread and left a thank you message on it. and also thank you for the above information it is really helpful sue