Thread: ESA and Pension Credit

dillm2

ESA and Pension Credit

Hi
    I am in receipt of Pension Credit and also get NI contribution from my ESA claim
    I am almost 64
    The DWP have contacted me to suggest I close the ESA claim (I will get a full state Pension ) and just claim Pension Credit
    I am a little concerned that if I close the ESA claim I am saying I am fit for work, Pension Credit have said I will still get the same Pension Credit without penalty
    Are DWP/Pension Credit right or will I be jumping from the frying pan into the fire
    Last edited by dillm2; 04-08-14 at 13:45. Reason: general edit

dont think you will be financially worse off,and you wouldn't have to worry about assessments or wfi's etc and jumping to the sounds of dwp/atos,get advise from cab or welfare adviser.

dillm2
    checked with CAB seems that I can close ESA claim without penalty

The likelihood is that DWP are right that you will be better off if you successfully claim your Retirement Pension in place of ESA - even though you may well get no more money, you would not be subject to repeated ESA assessments. They are also right to say that you can close your ESA claim without penalty to claim Retirement Pension.

You don't say you are Fit for Work by closing the ESA claim - just that you no longer want to be paid ESA.

However, before acting, I'd urge you to contact a local advice provider such as a local authority welfare rights project (if you have one) or Citizen's Advice, as they will be able to calculate your entitlements for you. You would be in a much better position to make this decision if you knew what amount of Retirement Pension and Pension Credit you would get.

dillm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    The likelihood is that DWP are right that you will be better off if you successfully claim your Retirement Pension in place of ESA - even though you may well get no more money, you would not be subject to repeated ESA assessments. They are also right to say that you can close your ESA claim without penalty to claim Retirement Pension.

You don't say you are Fit for Work by closing the ESA claim - just that you no longer want to be paid ESA.

However, before acting, I'd urge you to contact a local advice provider such as a local authority welfare rights project (if you have one) or Citizen's Advice, as they will be able to calculate your entitlements for you. You would be in a much better position to make this decision if you knew what amount of Retirement Pension and Pension Credit you would get.
    Hi just to clarify the DWP want me to close my ESA claim and claim Pension Credit only as I just receive NI conts only
    I can't claim my Retirement Pension untill 2015
    (sorry for late reply :- computer failure)

dillm2
    Quote Originally Posted by dillm2 View Post
    Hi just to clarify the DWP want me to close my ESA claim and claim Pension Credit only as I just receive NI conts only
    I can't claim my Retirement Pension untill 2015
    (sorry for late reply :- computer failure)
    Just had confirmation from pension service I can close ESA claim without penalty