Thread: Will I have to pay back falsely claimed benefits?

Will I have to pay back falsely claimed benefits?

Hi

My ex has carryed on claiming carers alowance for me since we broke up (thou still living in the same property) I have been to scared to stop as I am scared of him (thou there has never been any physical violence just emotional and neglect)

He has not been caring for me really for a long time. Rarely cooks for me (I went 3 weeks eating mostly yogourt and cerial in may during a relapse!) tidying, helping me bath. Then making me feel very guilty about needing to rest or needing supervision or transport any where, to the extent i had to give up my volenteering as I became to scared to ask him for lifts.

sorry for the waffle there. We are now possibly going to court over custody so all this will come out. Will I get introuble for letting him continue to claim even when he wasn't caring? Will I be made to pay back the carers alowance he got? I never saw any of the money.

Sorry for the waffle

Ffi

It is his offence not yours so he will be liable not you.
    Contact DWP carers and tell them he is no longer caring for you.
    Some one should come along and confirm this but it may be morning now.

As beau says, it's your (ex) partner who is responsible for any falsely claimed Carer's Allowance, as he is the one holding himself our as carrying for you for at least 35 hours per week.

If your ex is no longer providing that care, you should notify DWP he is no longer providing care for you. However, you have to prepare yourself for the likelihood that he will realise it was you that reported him.

As you acknowledge yourself, you are trapped in a situation of domestic abuse and neglect, which is not really sustainable. Arguably your more pressing concern is how to resolve that for the sake of your emotional and physical well-being.

It's worth thinking about talking to Social Services about your situation, partly because they may well be able to arrange for some of the care that you are doing without and also because they may be able to support you in being rehomed.

If there is no way to avoid court battles about custody of children or property, you should seek legal advice. It might be possible to get Legal Aid on the grounds of domestic abuse.

I wish you well in what is clearly a draining and upsetting situation.

As advised contact Social Services, ask to be put in touch with the nearest "Women's Aid" project, 'Gingerbread' etc, they will be able to help and support you through this situation. Don't worry about the 'carers allowance' that is the recipients responsibility, besides there is the possibility that claiming that may be preventing you from rightfully claiming other allowances.

Contact Women's Aid ASAP and the best of luck