Thread: Wheelchair hoists

Wheelchair hoists

Asking for a friend and please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject of hoists and wheelchairs if I'm asking a stupid question but is it possible to get a mobility car with a hoist, which allows the person who requires a wheelchair to transfer into the passenger seat, and sit there for the journey?

Friend told me the only option was to buy a separate hoist which was around £3000 therefore out with their budget, but they could get a mobility car with a hoist which allowed them to be sit in the wheelchair for the journey on DLA or PIP , but they would prefer to sit in the front passenger seat .

Thanks

A hoist is for loading an unoccupied chair into the boot, with the occupant responsible for getting themselves into a seat in the car.

I'm not aware of any system that hoists an occupied chair. WAVs, where the occupant travels in their chair, invariably use a ramp or lift.

I think Flymo is correct but there is the possibility of getting a vehicle with a passenger or driver's seat that swivels out of the car and then back in. There is loads of info about vehicle adaptations at the RICA website www.rica.org.uk.
    Caring is an art not a science

Motability Roadshow is also a good place to try

Try googling Milford Person hoist.
    They fit 3dr and 5dr cars and are transferable when you swap cars.
    The post is removable for when the disabled person is not using the car.
    I don't think they are cheap but can make the world of difference to you being able to get out and about.

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it on. Looks like they might need help with funding. so the sites given will be really helpful.

Thanks again

There is also a system call a Carony, which is a wheelchair which has a seat that transfers in to the vehicle allowing the occupant to sit in the front without leaving the seat of the wheelchair. The wheeled chassis is then loaded on to the car ready for the occupant to exit the vehicle at the end of the journey.

I have a wheelchair hoist that has come out of my Kangoo. has a remote to get the wheelchair in and out of the car. Let me know if you're interested, £130 ono.