Thread: Carers allowance and ir esa

Carers allowance and ir esa

I have just been awarded standard pip daily living and mobility. My husband and i get ir esa. I no we are not entitled to carers allowance but are we entitled to carers premium? If so how do we get it and how much is it

Thanks

Why do you think you are not entitled to Carer's Allowance? If your husband meets the criteria - caring for you for 35 hours per week and earning no more than £100/week (or is it £105/week - I forget), he should apply for Carer's Allowance.

You then declare the Carer's Allowance (including any back money paid) to the office dealing with your ESA. They will subtract the Carer's Allowance from your ESA, then add the Carer Premium to it. The overall effect is that you are better off each week by the amount of the Carer Premium, also your husband gets NI credits towards his Retirement Pension by getting Carer's Allowance.

I just thought because we get ir esa we would not actually get carers allowance but i must have got that wrong?

We have applied for CA so hopefully we will get it but as you say esa will take CA off but then add CP on?. Do you know how much CP is weekly?

Thanks

I claim ir esa for myself and my wife, my wife now claims CA and she needs to care for me, we gained about £26 a week.

Quote Originally Posted by emmnic View Post
    I just thought because we get ir esa we would not actually get carers allowance but i must have got that wrong?
    Carer's Allowance is awarded and the same amount is deducted from your joint Income Related ESA, as it's income for your partner. Carer Premium is then added to the ESA.

Quote Originally Posted by emmnic View Post
    We have applied for CA so hopefully we will get it but as you say esa will take CA off but then add CP on?. Do you know how much CP is weekly?
    Carer Premium is £34.20/week. That's the amount that's added to your Income Related ESA applicable amount on the joint claim. Because ESA takes savings and income into account, it's possible you will land up with less, but most couples already on Income Related ESA will get the full amount.