Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I manage without my benefits?

How can I manage without my benefits?

Having discussed the proposed changes to our benefits in other Threads , I have come to one stark conclusion. We are all screwed! In the end I suspect most of us will lose something, some benefit or part of it. I think we have to be realistic on this, as much as it scares us.

So what do we spend all this money on that we get now? What do we waste it on? How greedy are we?

We are looking at being transferred to other benefits, having old benefits replaced with new ones that have different components to them which offer less money, limits out Housing Benefits, loss of gas & electric grants. What did I miss out?

This house is huge, it has two bedrooms, a showerrrom, kitchen, living room & WC. This is too big for two people. I am sure it would cost less to have two separate one bedroom homes that one two bed! I think Social Services would be happy to adapt two new homes, it would not cost more than several thousand to do that. It is greedy of my mother & I to live together. We are being silly when we say we need each other to help the other one. What do they say, one can live as cheaply as two?

I could spend less on heating the house. We are only in the house most of the day & night. We cannot move about much. I am sure if I turn it down freezing will not be that bad. The fact for my mother's room she has the heating on, an electric fire she uses that she turns off before she goes to bed, & a hot water bottle does not mean she cannot handle freezing. last time this happened in hospital & her fingers & toes bent so much they have to call the doctor in the night, as they were panicking as to what happened to her, is not a major worry.

I could cut out some of the very expensive foods I buy, like the special offers I get because I cannot afford the full price. I do not really needs prepared foods, I could peel & cut more veg. I am sure a few more cuts on my hands will not matter. Nor dropping more food. I can risk spilling boiling water on myself, I only do that once in a while now.

I can get more ready made meals, they are very cheap, so of course they must use the best ingredients in them. And we have not been told not to eat them, no one has suggested we should be eating fresher foods, less processed foods, less artificial foods, more organic foods, etc. So these meals should be OK.

I can use a microwave very well, I have no problem with that. The fact I have problems piercing the film on ready made meals is not a problem, how many times can you prick yourself before it becomes an issue anyway? These meals are very easy to lift into the micro too, it is not like I spill them more than half the time. Then spill them the other half when I take them out. Being so hot when I spill them when they come out will be a good thing if I have turned the heating down, it will warm my hands up! I can afford to buy more when I spill them too, I will have the money, Cameron has made it clear that the money will be going to those in greatest need. This means I can buy about 3-4 times the amount of meals I need to eat to take care of the waste.

I have one worry with all these ready meals though. I cannot recycle all those trays, that will be a shame.

I can use taxis less. After all I need more exercise, & the fact I cannot walk far is not really a problem, I could just sit on the kerb. I will need to take a handrail with me though, to assists me in getting up & down. Will need a cushion too. I am sure my legs could handle that walking, so not sure why I get taxis now. I waste taxis, going to get food, I could carry the shopping. No, I could have it delivered, there is no need for me to go out then. I am sure less fresh air & sun will not be an issue as I get out at least twice a week anyway, well maybe once if I am not going out for food.

Maybe not using the taxi to get to town & the other side of town for hospital appointments. There are buses, & as we have been told we have a great bus service in Leeds. It is only a 30-40 minute walk for me to the bus stop. Then anything from 1-60+ minutes wait for a bus, that they say is every 10-20 minutes. And of course the buses have steps, I could use a stairlift on them. They have those ones they lower now, & I have found that the drivers will do this if you ask them to, about half the time. The fact you can only get a seat on the bus about half the time is OK too. It is not like I am not able to stand, or grip the rails when the bus rushes around the corner.

I could spend less on clothing. We all know that clothing for disabled people is very cheap! I do not actually need special footwear, I could go barefoot. That would mean I do not need special socks either, that would save more money. I do not need to change my clothing as often. It is not as though I need access to a toilet, & there are so many public toilets these days, at least 1 near us!

I would save on soap powder too, & the amount of washes. I could use more deodorant to mask the smell. Ah, that costs though, well the amount I save on washing would still be more.

Maybe if I buy paper plates, I could manage them, they are very sturdy of course, not flimsy at all. This would cut down on the amount of breakages I have. I do drop too many plates, cups, etc. This does costs me a lot of money. I could by plastic ones, as they are very strong! That means I could wash them again, & again.

I do have special cutlery, cooking utensils, tableware, etc. Now, how would I save on them? I will have to think about that one. Mind you, as I would be dropping more food I would have less to eat, so need less of them. I would need more cleaning equipment & supplies though, to clean up the mess.

Maybe I can buy different items than I do not. I drop glass jars, plastic jars, bottles, tubes, etc. This costs a lot of money for me in wastage. Maybe if I just buy tinned foods. They must make milk in tins, coffee, sugar, salt, veg they do, meats, fruit you can get in tins. Yes, I could do this. Ah, wait. I have a special tin opener, but how do I prevent myself dropping the tins after I open them, or when placed in pans/containers, plates, etc? Oh wait, I will be getting those very good cheap meals. Yes, spending about 3-4 times more on food than I am not. Well that is another problem solved. You think they make coffee in a ready made meal?

Ah, yes, insurance. That is not too much, I have it for the house, appliances, etc. It is cover for the usual & because I tend to damage things I have extra cover. They do have to fix things a few times a year, not always because I accidentally damage it though. I do not need a dishwasher, it is a luxury. I can wash by hand, it is not as though I have any problems handling things or standing. I could wash the clothes by hand too, or spend £10 to get a taxi to the nearest launderette. I would not need a cooker if I am using the microwave.

I could get rid of Cable TV, it is not like I am home more than 24 hours a day. I do not need a phone either, it is not like there are any emergencies, I could get a taxi to the nearest public phone. Oh wait, I cannot call a taxi if I do not have a phone. I could get rid of the Internet, that is a luxury, someone like me should not have that. It is not like I do not have a life. Nor do I need it to contact some services.

There has to be other ways I can save. It does not matter if I spend more on things than I do now as they say it will be cheaper, & better for me, so I must be wrong on spending more money. We are all in this together & the rich are suffering too. They may have to sack some workers so they can make 7 figure incomes, cut down to only 9 holidays a year, suffer by paying their employees less, & domestic staff. They may have their taxes cut so they can earn more. Some have had to cut down on the amount they give to political parties, this is very terrible! I hear some may only get a few million in bonuses at the end of this tax year.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 31-10-11 at 19:16.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Like you say, its a scary time and we all have our own worries. I will lose my home

I think its disgusting how we are all worrying like this and the fact that people like Andypany could lose there home shame on people that come up with these stupid changes do they think our life is perfect and the fact that we are limited to certain things in life as it is lets put more stress on there shoulders(disabled folk).I do like your thought on it Stepheninleeds so true!!!!

This it the point. I think so many are going to lose their homes. I really do think that we are going backwards, to the Victorian era. Even further, to the days of, well remember when people were transported to Australia for stealing bread?

What angers me is people like Cameron know. He knows, he had a son who was disabled, who sadly died. Several politicians have disabled children or family members.

One day after my mother came out of hospital-she had major surgery to try to repair damage to her spinal cord-our landlord turned up for the rent. We had very little income at this point but still had bills to pay. I could not get benefits until my mother's benefits were sorted out, was still trying to claim DLA for her. He wanted us out so he could get asylum seekers in, make more money.

This was a difficult time for us, but we thought we would be OK. We thought as she was disabled they would help us. She was a year from retirement. When we went to the Housing office in town we were shocked. There were so many disabled people homeless. People who went there to see if they could get a bed for the night. They had to queue up there & as shelters. I had passed this office many times, hundreds or more. I assumed that they were trying for new homes or something. I naively though we took care of the vulnerable. Of course, I knew our Council does not, but I still thought that.

This was 81/2 years ago now. It was so hard to find a home then, it was a nightmare of one year for us. It involved two solicitors fighting for us. During this time I became disabled. This did actually help us, well it raised our standing on the list. Yet there were no homes to give us. Well, not true, we had to find the home ourselves, & bid for it, that is apply for it, as did others. Some homes dozens or more people applied. Often these people had needs too.

Now we are close to a decade later, & those on the waiting list in Leeds for housing as risen by a shocking amount, & it was a huge list 81/2 years ago. There are no cheaper homes that what we live in. There are fewer shelters & services for those in need of homes & the homeless, because of cuts in funding.

What the hell are we suppose to cut to keep our homes, be that rented or your own home? What do we cut to afford the basics? I am paying more now per month for gas & electric per month that I use to pay in a year. When we moved to this house our water bill doubled, becuase we live in a better area.

How can we not fear the future?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I am so scared of what is happening as I know I am not capable of working my energy just barely helps me get through the day as it is now. All of this what the government are doing is making me very ill, even to the point of looking at the best way to end it all; I just hold onto that bit of hope that I will be okay.

It is true with what you have said about looking at ways to save money; net, phone & tv along with tv licence will go, so saving there. Will not shop for food as much, as for gas will not use it same as electric will only pay standing charges. All the debt I owe to catalogue and loan company will have to be wrote off, I have a CAB thing set up where I pay small amounts each month, that will have to go so will just let that pile up with all the charges they will put on, or go to court and get admin order or bankruptcy.

Also with all of this it will be that the shops and businesses will have less money as I will not be shopping in them, so there will be no recovery for these businesses, think internet tv and phone company will see a lot of people leaving them, and no one will want tv licence.

And it is against the law to lie on application forms, so I would have to state all that is wrong with me, and no one will employ me; or is it that the government want slave labour way below minimum wage. So no wonder businesses are laying off people as they know they will be able to pay less with what the government are seeming to push us all to, with me as with all others it is way over the edge.

We have to have some hope, just to get through to the point where that could be taken from us. We are assuming the worst, but with good reason. We know how things work out when such things happen, & these changes are the largest since benefits were introduced.

We have working people losing jobs, wages frozen, unemployed facing cuts, disabled facing cuts. It is only the wealthy who will still be spending. How can we get out of this mess if the majority are having to cut back?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Perhaps, so that we can all be guaranteed a roof over our heads, meals cooked for us, adequate heating, clothing, playstations and cable TV, we should all go out and commit crimes.
    Get sent to prison and lo and behold, all our money worries would be over. Not sure if I'm joking or serious? Neither am I!!

Maybe that is there plan, get all the disabled into prisons just like what Hitler did back then - this government is in no way different, old people die with no heating, disabled people pushed beyond the limits where some have already died with stress of it all, or committed suicide; it's all psychological warfare, and these people working in DWP are in no way different to the SS working for a higher evil power that controls and dictates.

What has happened to our rights "that we have the right to live in peace without fear of intimidation, violence or disruption"?

Littlelucy
    this is just what worries me. I could manage..just...but I have to eat a fresh food diet due to my health, this is expensive. I have to drive everywhere as I cannot walk far and canot use public transport. car ownership and petrol costs are my main expense, I would have to give up food before giving up my car.
    I got copy of my benefit decision today, in order that I can appeal.
    It was made in my absence by some foreign nurse who has never met me,. yet she has judged me as being 'likely fit to work within 12 months'
    no mention of the letter I wrote.
    the main problem for me is that I simply couldnt handle work. In the distant past I have done casual or temp work part time, and have without exception gotten into confrontations or been taken advantage of by people, this is due to my inability to relate to people on any level. and I am worse now than I was ten years ago.
    I am vulernable to abuse, which has been proven by the number of times I have been abused, also I find it difficult to get my point accross, which is why i cant get professional help either from doctor or hospital.
    Im really in catch 22.
    I like my GP, but because I like him I dont want him to see what a failure of a person I am, and any other health professional I have seen have either not understood me, offended me or accused me of lying, all of which mean I trust people less.
    so my main worry is the fact that I simply cannot be left with people, cannot get on with them, and cannot be in a workplace with them,

dla

Hi Stephen

Sorry to post on this thread but i'm not sure how to start a new one after
    several tries and failing lol anyway i'm not sure if you remember me from
    a few month back Marie from Glasgow i asked for advice on my dla renewal
    being refused and asked them for reconcideration so after waiting 14 weeks
    they have kept the original decision and gave me no award so my dla stopped
    11-6-12 ,i know i can appeal now but not sure i could cope with anymore stress
    if i decided to make a fresh claim which i have been told might be easier how long
    do i have to wait to make the new claim after my current claim ended on 11-6-12
    as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marie