Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pissed off with estate agents! question for Flymo

Pissed off with estate agents! question for Flymo

Heres a question for you Flymo
    We are in the process of TRYING to find private rented accomodation for myself and The Flying Kidney.
    ANY property would have to allow us to put in a ramp (wheelchair); possibly a walk in shower, allow the 3rd bedroom to be used as a dialysis room (needs a drain).
    NONE of which we are asking for a landlord to pay for - we just need PERMISSION. But estate agents are constantly saying "Ooooo the landlords not keen on that........."
    I'd like to know the legal position on that and to be able to quote them chapter and verse...
    are they in fact obligated to allow alterations for a disabled tenant?
    especially if the tenant is offering to pay?

Given that our chance of finding a suitable property already with the various adaptions in place is, well, ZERO! can you tell me how we stand?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Heres a question for you Flymo
    We are in the process of TRYING to find private rented accomodation for myself and The Flying Kidney.
    ANY property would have to allow us to put in a ramp (wheelchair); possibly a walk in shower, allow the 3rd bedroom to be used as a dialysis room (needs a drain).
    NONE of which we are asking for a landlord to pay for - we just need PERMISSION. But estate agents are constantly saying "Ooooo the landlords not keen on that........."
    I'd like to know the legal position on that and to be able to quote them chapter and verse...

Given that our chance of finding a suitable property already with the various adaptions in place is, well, ZERO! can you tell me how we stand?
    Thanks
    Have you tried contacting Shelter - national charity for housing and homelessness? They would have probably have all the up to date info?

Hi Reddivine, you've raised some interesting points. Here's what I think which has no reference to any laws of the land - just intuition - so take it or leave it.

We are in the process of TRYING to find private rented accommodation for myself and The Flying Kidney.
    So you're looking for a three bed place? So flats are out as they usually have two bedrooms. And you've not mentioned outside space e.g. garden/allotment area/raised beds - are these important?

Location will have a bearing on rental cost. So are you checking out London or Telford?

Why would the landlord have to allow you to add a ramp, rip out his bathroom and you pay to have walk-in shower installed and a new soil pipe?
    Would it be easier to already have a level access with flush threshold entrance. An en-suite bathroom that has a toilet, sink and shower cubicle. The en-suite bathroom is next to the bed - could dialysis take place here? (a compromise solution)

I don't think private landlords would refit a bathroom even if you paid for it as tie without tenants is down time, And, when you leave you might have to pay the landlord to refit the bathroom with a bath and shower overhead.

Over to Flymo who is presently writing a dissertation on the issue no doubt.

Mmmmm, If you, as a landlord, had 5 prospective tenants who want the property immediately. Do you go for the easy option where rent is paid in advance the following week. Or leave it empty while getting quotes, getting skips, removing debris, getting plasterers in and electricians, plumbers, fitters, tilers, vinyl fitters etc. Are you paying the rent for the house while it's being refurbished?
    Private landlords are business people first - I'll let you decide the answer.

Why pay as it's dead money being a let property - look for the compromise level access, additional en-suite bathroom with a shower and toilet.

An Estate Agent isn't going to go out of his way to look for a hues with a wooly grey list of features you think you need.

You really need to put the time in yourself online initially.

Here's a few first thoughts.
    - If you already live in a private house that you need to sell due to marriage breakdown but it meets your needs. Contact local Housing Association to see if they would buy it off you and you rent it back.
    I arranged such a deal for a friend in need 15 years ago - things may have changed.

- check out private owners of social housing who have bought say a maisonette and are about to refurbish it. See if they can put your walk-in shower in at the planning stage.

- If one of you is in social housing look into a house swap.

- would a 'mobile home/static' be easier as it's on one level.

- communal living in cooperative housing - especially if you were to live in London.
    - if you release money through the sale of a house - buy a house that needs refurbishment at the auctions and do it up to your own spec with help from friends and family.

I could go on but it's getting late. Check out Zoopla http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/deta...839f982ca6bcaf

but know your monthly budget.

While you wait on Flymo had a quick scout and the only consistent into I could find was a Landlord has to make certain adjustments eg perhaps allowing a guide dog, or providing an aid like a stroll in the kitchen , so certain aids, but not anything which changes the physical construction of the property.

So providing you with a ramp seemed to be necessary but providing a walk in shower etc they didn't, nor anything like a stair lift. Think the document was dated 2011, but whether it's still relevant or not couldn't say.

Can see how difficult a situation this is for you both, but can also see if from a Landlords point of view as well. But have read of people in private rentals having properties adapted so there must be some who don't mind it being done. Hopefully there will be one in the area you're looking at.

the forum just ate my extremely lengthy reply lighttouch so I'm have a break

OK Lighttouch, I just answered you points AT LENGTH and computer ate it so here is abbreviated version: Take 2:

3 beds: me & boyfriend, my son and a need for a dedicated sterile treatment room for home haemo-dialysis
    Flat? too small, no garden, no storage space.

your 2nd point: you misunderstand. Not saying they MUST. Saying we NEED a ramp (my wheelchair), walkin shower (my mobility) or lack of. Private landlords have to give PERMISSION, even if we say we'll pay or the NHS or OT
    chances of finding already in place? snowballs chance in hell are words i'd use.

I am asking flymo as i DO want to be able to argue my corner, with the law accurate;y

London? your having a laugh, have you SEEN the prices? theres a 10 year waiting list in Haringey
    Telford? cheaper much cheaper

Our "woolly list" is quite specific and necessary. i'll let the man answer the questions about home-haemo. i have an entire FILE of medical evidence.....means jack shit to private landlords.

in Telford there are now 3 options which are basically ONE
    LA they have No housing stock, none, nada, zilch, zero
    housing association I filled in the 16 page form which times out at 30 mins....about 6 times. And phoned cuz my answers don't fit their little boxes....the bloke told AND I QUOTE "oooh well, its difficult; I don;t know how you can live togehter"
    And these the folks who are HELPING you??????
    and private rent

Mobile homes have steps up to them. Maisonette are 1st floor.

Our only option is to find a rented place that will allow alterations.

We have been searching online for months, no make that years. We are thinking outside the box, under the box and over the box, believe me. We absolutely know our budget and are both "unfit for work". don't even get me started on landlords who say "No DSS"
    I'll go lie down and steam gently now.............

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    OK Lighttouch, I just answered you points AT LENGTH and computer ate it so here is abbreviated version: Take 2:

3 beds: me & boyfriend, my son and a need for a dedicated sterile treatment room for home haemo-dialysis
    Flat? too small, no garden, no storage space.

your 2nd point: you misunderstand. Not saying they MUST. Saying we NEED a ramp (my wheelchair), walkin shower (my mobility) or lack of. Private landlords have to give PERMISSION, even if we say we'll pay or the NHS or OT
    chances of finding already in place? snowballs chance in hell are words i'd use.

I am asking flymo as i DO want to be able to argue my corner, with the law accurate;y

London? your having a laugh, have you SEEN the prices? theres a 10 year waiting list in Haringey
    Telford? cheaper much cheaper

Our "woolly list" is quite specific and necessary. i'll let the man answer the questions about home-haemo. i have an entire FILE of medical evidence.....means jack shit to private landlords.

in Telford there are now 3 options which are basically ONE
    LA they have No housing stock, none, nada, zilch, zero
    housing association I filled in the 16 page form which times out at 30 mins....about 6 times. And phoned cuz my answers don't fit their little boxes....the bloke told AND I QUOTE "oooh well, its difficult; I don;t know how you can live togehter"
    And these the folks who are HELPING you??????
    and private rent

Mobile homes have steps up to them. Maisonette are 1st floor.

Our only option is to find a rented place that will allow alterations.

We have been searching online for months, no make that years. We are thinking outside the box, under the box and over the box, believe me. We absolutely know our budget and are both "unfit for work". don't even get me started on landlords who say "No DSS"
    I'll go lie down and steam gently now.............

Lets get the dialysis cleared up first.

I'm on home heamodialysis, which requires space and storage, albeit in a room, cabin in a garden etc. Not to be mistaken with peritoneal dialysis which, can be done with a smaller space, but is not an option for me, nor in the long term is in hospital treatment, as I'm going to be on heamo for the rest of my life.

A heamodialysis dialysis machine is about the size of a refrigerator, with space needed around it, PLUS at least 20 foot squared for around 26 various disposable items which are delivered monthly in boxes of various sizes.

Its no cost to a landlord to make adaptions (reasonable adjustments), for home heamo, 3 things are required, plumbing for a sink, and drain, water inlet/supply, and possibly flooring which are almost always paid for by the local HealthCare Trust.

It does need, ideally to be a 'clean area' separate from any shared rooms or other bits of a property.

There are no suitable council properties (thanks to the right to buy system, and no new buildings), and most housing associations will not consider you unless you are 'in the system', or referred.

I don't know the law in detail, but I'm almost certain there's some discrimination going on as its 'easier' for landlords to say no, and hope people won't kick up a fuss.

Meeting both our health/medical needs is a priority, and as we both love gardens, some small area to work with is important.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...djustments.htm

Possibly the same with the estate agents.
    Last edited by TheFlyingKidney; 30-07-14 at 09:58.

Your best bet with the Law is to contact Shelter.

They deal with housing issues all the time. Nothing to lose by getting in touch with them.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Your best bet with the Law is to contact Shelter.

They deal with housing issues all the time. Nothing to lose by getting in touch with them.
    Thanks

We'll add that to our ammunition.

Not an easy job.

Have you looked into Homefinder Telford.

This shows private properties to rent through an accredited Landlord that meets the Council's standards. Not many to chooses from but I'm sure they could answer questions about access and alterations.

http://www.telfordhomefinder.co.uk/default.aspx

This would be ideal if it was on one level http://www.telfordhomefinder.co.uk/p...?PropertyId=50