Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo ID - Whats in Your Wallet?

Yes, for a first passport, even if you apply online, you have to go to an interview at one of their interview offices. (Note that these are not the Passport Services offices).

My nearest interview centre as listed online is at Carlisle, a 2 hour journey by public transport from where I live. Thats 2 hours each way.

I happen to know that the address given for that office in Carlisle is currently closed as the building is being refurbished, the next three nearest listed offices for the interview are at Liverpool, Blackburn, or Edinburgh.

Not realy important as I am not going to apply for one just for ID purposes.

The only photo ID I possess is my bus pass.
    I have not been in a position of having to use photo ID recently.
    I used to have a passport which is now well out of date and also in my previous married name, so that would be no good.
    I do not have a driving license as I gave up driving when my illnessess and mobility became a danger for me to drive.
    So, for me, its my bus pass or nothing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

As nukecad says, an interview has become mandatory for a first passport. This was brought in to reduce the risks of passports being obtained by identity fraud - people were using birth certificates to apply for passports in the name of someone who had never held a passport before, so no photo was on file to compare with the one submitted in the passport application.

In some cases, an interview is required to renew a passport that has lapsed. I can't see myself going abroad in the foreseeable future, but I will renew my passport in 2017 just to avoid the hassle of getting a new passport later on, after my existing passport has lapsed.

I am medically fit to drive, so I have a photocard driving licence. I also have a concessionary travel permit, a Blue Badge (though that's normally in my car), a credit card and a National Union of Students card (which has a photo on it). I don't routinely carry my passport, but I don't need to as I have a photocard driving licence.

My girlfriend is potentially medically fit to drive, but she never learned to drive and has never held a licence. She has a concessionary travel permit and a Blue Badge which is normally in her handbag. She got so weary of being expected to produce a photocard driving licence or passport that she applied for a passport even though there's no likelihood of her going abroad in the foreseeable future.

I'm amazed that we can't adopt the same system as in many American states, where you can apply to the state's driver licensing authority for a proof of identity card. In effect, it's a driving licence with no driving privileges whatsoever, not even as a learner, so it's only a proof of identity.

I'm not convinced about the proof of disability benefits card suggested in the e-petition. The problem with this is that entitlement changes over time, and just because someone has an award letter to a particular date doesn't mean they are still on that benefit, which is why entitlement letters typically have to be dated in the past year (or sometimes in the past few months, which means getting an up to date statement of entitlement from DWP). Issuing plastic ID cards every year would be a considerable extra expense on top, and I cannot see the government justifying the costs.

What might be possible is a "Blue Badge holder" card, which could be prepared alongside the Badge itself and sent with it. However, that would only cover a subset of disabled people.

I carry my driving licence in my wallet (both parts - you can't hire cars without the paper counterpart) and a scan of my latest PIP letter in an encrypted folder on my mobile phone. Along with the other cards I carry routinely, I've always found this sufficient.
    Last edited by Flymo; 30-07-14 at 13:07. Reason: Minor edits to the first paragraph

It would be far worse if I.D. cards were issued. I imagine these would make all your data accessible. Disability status, Bank balances....credit rating.
    Can't anyone simply get a provisional license?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    You can only have a provisional licence if you're medically fit to drive. If there is any question about your fitness to drive, you might have to undergo extensive medical and/or functional assessment before being issued with a provisional licence. If you don't intend to drive or ride a motor vehicle, there seems little point going through all that - it's easier to get a passport.

Moreover, as you have not had to prove your identity to a driving examiner, a provisional driving licence is not accepted as proof of identity in some circumstances. Sometimes only a full licence is acceptable. Edit to add: HSBC are one example - they will only accept provisional driving license as proof of identity from under 18s.
    Last edited by Flymo; 30-07-14 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    But why should anybody have to pay that sort of money, just to prove that they are who they are to get another service?

I think that the talk about proof of DLA, or blue badge holder, in the comments is a red heering. This is a problem that can affect anybody, especially those on low income, whether or not they are disabled.

(I haven't been abroad in over 10 years, and my passport expired last year, but I do drive and have a license).

Sure it can happen to anyone. If a jobsworth wants to show authority or let off steam. I recall being refused thirty pounds at my long term bank as they did not know me. Just behind me Micheal Foot (remember that old MP) withdrew 3000 pounds. All smiles and no questions asked. How many comedians have impersonated him? I believe males between 20 and 40 are targeted more. It is nothing to do with disability.

There is the Citizen Card option-
    http://citizencard.com/what-is-a-citizencard.html

Costs £15 for a new one.

I came across this some years ago when I worked in a pub.
    Its primarily used as a proof of age card for students but is also supposed to be a valid photo ID card as well.
    Of course it would still be up to the bank/shop/other wether they accept it.

It could also be interesting to apply for one of these. I bet they don't get many applications from 54 year olds with bald heads and big bushy beards