Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo ID - Whats in Your Wallet?

Photo ID - Whats in Your Wallet?

There is an increasing trend of businesses and service providers asking for a Government issued photo ID, i.e. Driving Licence or Passport, before they will provide a service.
    Solicitors, banks, parcel delivery (including the post office), and even some high street shops are now asking for this.

The better ones have some system in place in case the customer cannot supply photo ID, but it is often not until you have had to ask to speak to senior staff that things can get resolved. Even then it may take significantly longer to get the required service than if you had the ID.
    Some have no alternative in place and thats it.

I can't have a Driving Licence because of epilepsy, and dont have a Passport as I am not going abroad because of both my main neurological condition and the epilepsy.

I am sure I can't be alone in not having these IDs and wonder how others are getting on with the lack?

My rant:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
    I have fallen foul of this photo ID requirement on two occasions recently.

The first was when I was looking to change Banks.
    My current bank has closed the local branch and the nearest branch is now 15 miles away, 90mins by bus.
    There is a different bank 50m from my house so I went in to ask about changing banks which is supposed to be easy these days.
    They were pleased with a potential new customer, until that is I said that I had neither Driving Licence or Passport for ID at which point I was told they couldn't help me.
    When I pointed out that I did not have these because of a medical condition, and that they may be indirectly discriminating by insisting on them, a manager was summoned who decided that, yes, they could proceed but that it may take up to a month to open an account as they would have to carry out 'special checks'.
    I told them I would think about it and walked out.

The second occasion was when I tried to sell an unwanted new phone to a well known high street chain.
    They were happy to buy the phone at a decent price but again wanted Driving Licence or Passport as proof of ID.
    Fair enough, they need some assurance should the phone turn out to be stolen, but despite the fact that I could show the original invoice and delivery note to my address as well as my bank statment, utility bills, council letters, DWP letters, etc. (I had these on me as I had been to see the council about HB) they were adamant that it had to be Driving Licence or Passport.
    They said that this condition had been put on them by the police and they had no leeway with it.
    I went round to the police station to ask if this was true, it was. When I pointed out that this could be classed as indirect discrimination as defined by the Equality Act 2010 their reply was that I could "get a friend with a driving licence to sell it to the shop" for me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, so both of the above are laughable but I can see this becoming a more frequent problem if more people are going to insist on photo ID.
    Part of the problem is that in the UK we have resisted a national identity card, whereas in the rest of Europe it is standard practice.
    As we dont have a identity card service providers have to do the best they can with what we do have and this is not always adequate.

Mmm, a thought there.
    We already all have a national insurance number, and the cardboard card somewhere on which it was issued, it shouldn't be too hard to make that a plastic photo card.

Here is another, similar, idea if anyone wants to sign this e-petition:
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55703
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-07-14 at 07:31.

I don't have photo id except for my work pass. It's never been a problem so far as places that ask for that sort of id have always been happy to accept my non photo driving licence.

I have a provisional drivers licence that I use for ID. I don't carry my passport around with me.

@nukecad, I feel your pain! After a divorce, I too had to open a bank account, and found the same. Driving licence? I'm epileptic.
    Passport ? No I've never been able to go abroad says I. Credit card? I've just been divorced and don't want to be in debt, I screamed!
    It took 3 hours! After that I APPLIED and got a passport, although I did not go abroad for 8 yrs.
    A bus pass usually had photo ID but they like to see proof of address. utility bill will do.

So yeah, you can get a passport if your epileptic. You can fly, you just have to declare it on travel insurance .
    Its worth it to avoid the scenarios you have described. I was equally pissed off and this was 10 years ago!
    Last edited by reddivine; 28-07-14 at 11:15.

I am not allowed to drive due to my condition,but I do have a passport
    I don,t usually carry it around with me in case I lose it!
    Last year a group of us went out to celebrate a friends 70th birthday
    She wanted to go dancing
    The club would not let us in without ID
    There were 5 of us ranging from 40 to 70!
    A couple of months later,we arranged to go again as one of the gruop was turning 50
    Cue me emailing everyone to remind them to take their ID
    So which one of us forgot and had to get the taxi to turn back when we were half way there
    Yep, that would be me:/

I feel for those that have to go through this scrutiny, but its not a new rule by any means.
    I remember when I worked in a home care agency in 2000 and applicants had to provide a form of ID, it wasnt photo ID then but soon became that.
    I always said to the manager who insisted on this that not everyone has a passport or drives. As we had a huge amount of African carers the manager always said well they are here so they must have a passport, most were British and were born here.
    It was embarrassing to ask, so things havent moved on so well in 15 or so years.

I've usually been ok using my Bus Pass and a proof of address. For selling things i have always known Cash Converters to be quite reasonable as they take a photo of you using a webcam.

As i've never needed or wanted to get credit for anything, i haven't had that problem although from what i've seen on that Black Market program, the staff shown weren't very vigorous in checking the photo on the ID anyway.

Thanks all for your answers, and those yet to come.

Can I point out that I did not start this because I had a problem, but just for a general discusssion.

It seems most are managing OK with what they already have.

Reddivine:
    I am not suffering because of this; in fact I mostly find the stories funny.
    I know that I can get a passport if I want to, but why should I have to pay £72.50 plus 2 hours travel for an interview and the cost of that just to have some photo ID that is not required by law.
    I would never use it as a passport.

There is no legal requirement in the UK to have a photo ID; but as I said in my OP more and more people are are asking for one and refusing services unless you have one.
    More than this some (eg. banks) insist on a Driving Licence or Passport, no other form of photo ID is acceptable to them without a long checking process.
    They shouldn't do this but as we all know there are a lot of jobsworths out there.

Here's another laughable one for you.
    Where I live there are a lot of people who work on Sellafield nuclear site.
    To work there, even temporarily, you need to have a security pass that takes up to a month to issue because as well as police checks your background is checked by the security and anti-terrorism services.
    Friends have recounted that even this high security photo pass has been refused as proof of ID on ocasion and a driving licence asked for.

Photo ID

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Thanks all for your answers, and those yet to come.

Can I point out that I did not start this because I had a problem, but just for a general discusssion.

It seems most are managing OK with what they already have.

Reddivine:
    I am not suffering because of this; in fact I mostly find the stories funny.
    I know that I can get a passport if I want to, but why should I have to pay £72.50 plus 2 hours travel for an interview and the cost of that just to have some photo ID that is not required by law.
    I would never use it as a passport.

There is no legal requirement in the UK to have a photo ID; but as I said in my OP more and more people are are asking for one and refusing services unless you have one.
    More than this some (eg. banks) insist on a Driving Licence or Passport, no other form of photo ID is acceptable to them without a long checking process.
    They shouldn't do this but as we all know there are a lot of jobsworths out there.

Here's another laughable one for you.
    Where I live there are a lot of people who work on Sellafield nuclear site.
    To work there, even temporarily, you need to have a security pass that takes up to a month to issue because as well as police checks your background is checked by the security and anti-terrorism services.
    Friends have recounted that even this high security photo pass has been refused as proof of ID on ocasion and a driving licence asked for.
    nukecad:
    You can apply and pay for a passport ONLINE https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
    As far as I know, you do not have to attend an INTERVIEW!
    Like I said, I got mine solely for the photo ID thing and never imagined going abroad. 10 years ago I was flat broke.
    It was 10 years ago so it wasn't £72.50 then, but hey ho thats prices for you.
    A passport sized photo can be obtained from a photo booth in any Tesco or Boots and i lived up north, i can't imagine that anywhere in Cumbria is 2 hrs away from shops.
    Your choice. I got fed up and got one anyway to save the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    nukecad:
    You can apply and pay for a passport ONLINE https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
    As far as I know, you do not have to attend an INTERVIEW!
    Like I said, I got mine solely for the photo ID thing and never imagined going abroad. 10 years ago I was flat broke.
    It was 10 years ago so it wasn't £72.50 then, but hey ho thats prices for you.
    A passport sized photo can be obtained from a photo booth in any Tesco or Boots and i lived up north, i can't imagine that anywhere in Cumbria is 2 hrs away from shops.
    Your choice. I got fed up and got one anyway to save the hassle.
    yes, for new passports these days you have to have an interview
    I think the two hr journey the op quoted was to get to the interview centre
    my friend had her interview up north,she lives in London