Thread: New to this forum and applying for PIP2

New to this forum and applying for PIP2

Hello good folk. My name is Joss, I stumbled upon Yourable around a month ago now. I have found the information and post helpful in applying for Pip2.
    Thanks to Flymo's sticky post which i found most useful.

Now Using the information I have submitted my PIP2 forms last week. Today I have received a letter from Atos Healthcare.
    basically, the letter acknowledges the receipt of my claim form by DWP. Also that my claim was referred to Atos on the 17th of July 2014.
    Cut the blurb in the middle bit, to where it says at the moment it may be 12 to 16 weeks before they are able to arrange my appointment. Although it may take less time than this, or long. We will write to you again when we have an appointment.

So fair enough, they have acknowledged receipt of my claim. Which is a good start. Now the wait begins.

I am currently on ESA contribution based, and placed in the support group. I do not have to attend for interviews.
    I was moved from long term Incapacity benefit a fair while back. However I was placed in the work support group at that time.
    I challenged the decision successfully and was placed in the non work support group, where I am today.
    I receive 108 a week paid fortnightly. My wife is my carer. I do not get anything for my wife at all.

At this point, i should point out that I was retired under ill heath grounds in 2001 with full pension. After 3 years on sick pay then Incap benefit. I was bullied at work as a social worker. Consequently, I suffered a major nervous breakdown.

On the day i was retired I had a heart attack.

So that is what we have being living on since then. We own our home with 23 months left on the mortgage.
    We have never had a penny to wards interest payments to date.

Now my health has gradually deteriorated over the years. I had a heart attack as mentioned above which left me with angina and Aortic stenosis. I have also Ostio arthritis in my left knee and hip. This was an industrial injury from when i was a coal miner.
    3 years back I started to suffer sudden on set of Pancreatitous and Gaul bladder problems. I spent 2 year in absolute agony and was very ill.
    For 2 years I was admitted to hospital under blue lights every 2 to 3 weeks. I had severe jaundice. The first time i was admitted i spent 5 days on intensive care, where it was very much touch and go as my liver and kidneys failed.
    I was in 3 weeks before being allowed home. Then every 2 to 3 weeks i would be rushed into hospital with an other attack. spend 2 weeks in hospital until stable, then discharged. 2 years this went on until i had to fight to get my Gaul bladder removed.

This had a massive impact on my health. My heart suffered and on a recent scan, my aortic stenosis has now benn elevated to severe. Now i am really ill. Still waiting for an appointment to see my consultant.

So i have stage 3 kidney disease and heavy scaring on my kidneys and progressively getting worse.

I am now very ill with a combination of all my medical problems.

How will atos take a view on this as it is now life threatening.

Sorry for rambling on.

joss

I got one of those letters about a month ago, from Stockton Atos, still waiting, but don't expect to hear anything for a while yet.

Mags

Clearly you're dealing with a lot of severe medical problems, though, as you are not terminally ill with death expected within six months, you will not dealt with via the fast track "Special Rules" procedure.

There's no way to predict how your PIP claim will proceed from here, though you have some sort of idea how long you will have to wait for assessment if a face to face assessment is needed. If you have given a good quality explanation of the problems you face with the activities and have enclosed medical evidence confirming your diagnoses, it is possible you may assessed solely on the papers.

If you are awarded PIP, it will be backdated to the date you phoned to start the claim or the date you've had the disabling problems for three months, whichever is the later. It sounds like you've had these problems for some time, so I'd expect any award to be backdated to the date of claim.

If you are awarded the PIP Daily Living component and your wife claims Carer's Allowance within three months of your PIP award letter, Carer's Allowance will be backdated to the start of the PIP award.

The effect of this is that you will not lose out on any benefits from the delay in handling your PIP claim, though it's far from ideal that you are facing an estimated 3-4 month wait for assessment.

If your health problems continue to progress in the mean time, it's probably worth preparing a brief summary of any developments with dates that you can hand to the assessor if you undergo face to face assessment (make sure you keep a copy). However, it is important to remember that PIP is awarded based on the effect of your condition on your ability to perform the PIP activities.

Are they sending out letters to everyone about receipt of forms Flymo? I got mine within three days of DWP receiving my PIP2 and DWP returned my prescription list by next day delivery, I included lots of information about my problems and how they affect me on a daily basis, my WRO said I might not have a f2f but will have to wait and see.

Thanks also Flymo for your sticky post, I used this in conjunction with other guides to fill my form in, I am at the moment on indefinite LRC & LRM but my circumstances have altered greatly hence my application for C of C.

Mags

There have been various changes to try to keep people informed about the likely wait. I didn't get anything like this from ATOS, but things were not as well sorted out when I reached this stage just under a year ago.

It sounds as if this is a standard letter confirming ATOS have received the papers from DWP and giving an indication of the likely wait in your area. Some information, however vague and tentative, seems better than nothing.

If the information in the sticky thread is helping people understand the system and obtain what they are entitled to, it was worth the effort it took me to write, research and update it. I have no monopoly on good advice and would always encourage people to get help with a PIP claim where possible. However, the information in that thread seems to have been validated somewhat over time as people use it to help in their PIP claims.

Just an up date.
    Since my original post I have heard nothing more from ATOS.
    I have been through a barrage of hospital tests, such as lung function, blood tests, more scans and now a coronary angiogram planned for the 30th Sept 2014. Subject to the out come of my angiogram, I am hoping a date will be set for my Aortic valve replacement and possible bypass if needed at the same time.
    My condition continues to deteriorate in the mean time.

I have read 1 or 2 post on this forum where people have pushed Atos with regular phone calls on were they are in the queue.
    It would seem for some this has worked. They have had their face to face and are now awaiting the results.

Is this a fair way to try and jump the queue?

I would be grateful for your views on this please.

Please note I am not trying to cause anyone offense who has succeeded in this method.