Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The balance between doing and resting

I still can't get hold of the only person who can authorise an extension to the deadline, so I've kept at it to the best of my ability.

I've called the university to let them know what's happened and I've now laid down for a few hours rest. I've given everything this broken body has, my poor muscles hurt terribly and my mind has seized up. There is nothing left.

I'm going to get some sleep and a meal, then will see what I can do this evening.

Hi Flymo I think this weather is getting to lots of people everyone we deal with seems to be a bit tetchy! You seem to be suffering a lot more than most I think - I think the advice given about just having a break is good I'm sure that the university would be accommodating regarding an extension to your deadlines in your case.

Just on a more practical note - have you considered a portable air conditioning unit? Toshiba do one that should be capable of cooling a decent size room. Of course the cost might be a factor Amazon sell the Toshiba unit at around £350. The other thing is that this is Britain and we could all well be wrapping up in hats and scarves again in a couple of days!

All the best and take it easy.
    Caring is an art not a science

Ultimately, I reached the point of having to stop on Tuesday. I took Tuesday evening and the whole of Wednesday off, spending much of Wednesday in bed.

Fortunately, I heard that I had got an extension I'd requested on the troublesome deadline shortly after I reached the point of having to stop, which made it easier to let go and rest. I was facing the prospect of forfeiting 20% of the continuous assessment score on the module by missing the original deadline without an extension. It's still going to be tight to complete the assignment by the revised deadline, but it's now possible.

I have a fair crack at first class honours, but all it would take is a couple of mishaps at the wrong time to put that out of reach. Missing the deadline for this assignment could have thrown away my best chance to secure a first.

To cheer me up further, I got an earlier assignment returned by my tutor. I'd written parts of this assignment at the point where I was so tired that I barely knew what I was doing. Some of it had been written in a hospital waiting room when my mind could not have been said to be fully on task. I was expecting a poor result.

It turns out that my ability to judge my performance was the only thing that had gone wrong, in that I scored 95%, equalling my top mark ever. Scores in the 80s are difficult enough to get for final year standard law and scores in the mid nineties are rare indeed. This was a very pleasant surprise, especially as I missed the tutorials on those topics because of not being well enough to attend. If I can sustain my good performance so far in this module for the final two assignments and the exam, I will give myself a good chance of getting first class honours.

I'm blessed with an excellent tutor for this module who is not only very disability aware, but has a tremendous talent for developing the best from his students. I'm going to miss him when we part company at the end of the module and can only hope for another good tutor for the final law module which follows. Assuming I pass both these law modules, I will then only have one semester's worth of free choice study to complete before graduation. I'm not sure what I will study for that free choice - possibly management.

There is a lot of hard work to go, and, to a large extent, you are only as good as your last piece of work. I try to be humble and not complacent, though I may sometimes take that humility a bit too far and sell myself short.

I'm not always good enough at distinguishing between the unreliability forced onto me by my health problems and my innate abilities. I'm too easily tempted into denying my abilities just because I do not always have the strength to bring those abilities to bear.

Well done on the essay, it must be really hard for you at times, I know how hard it was for my son and he is able bodied, you should do well in your LPC too, if you do this.

Sending internet motherly hugs for you and take care, your help on here is greatly appreciated.

Mags

Thanks Mags.

I'm really torn about what to do after graduation. I haven't worked in nearly 20 years for health related reasons. However, with better management, my health is a bit more reliable and stable in the past five years, which is why I got back to studying part time via distance learning.

Much of me would love to tackle the Legal Practice Course, which, for those that don't know, is the postgraduate vocational course for aspiring solicitors. I'm sure I'd learn a lot that was useful even if I never worked as a trainee solicitor.

However, the cost of the LPC is around £13k, and I may well never earn that back. There is a huge pool of people with good law degrees and LPCs that are unemployed or underemployed, as well as quite a few unemployed qualified solicitors with low post-qualification experience. The legal profession has shrunk considerably since 2008, with the economic downturn and the legal aid cuts.

Rather than taking on trainee solicitors, many law firms are taking on LPC holders as paralegals on salaries as low as £13k/year, and there's no shortage of applicants as people are desperate for legal work and hope, if they perform well, they might be offered a trainee solicitor job.

An LPC would also be another two years of hard work (I'd likely take the LPC part time) when I'm already so tired and have other things I really ought to focus on for a while than studying. At the moment, I'm not sure my family would support me in studying at postgraduate level, which would make it essentially impossible.

Probably the best thing is to graduate, talk to the solicitors who have mentored me and see what I can manage before committing to further study. I could certainly do some volunteer work for a local advice provider and/or the Free Representation Unit, who represent people at tribunals. I could probably get some part time work experience one day a week or maybe even an intern position using my contacts. After a year of that, I may well feel in a better position to tackle the LPC.

There is abolutely NO SHAME in settling for less than 1st class, flymo, i did a degree as a mature student with 2 small kids and was diagnosed with MS, one year in. I stuck it out, it was tough going. Ended up with a 2:2 That was 93-95.
    So glad you have understanding staff around you.

Flymo its great to hear that you are sticking with your studies and will ultimately qualify, what a huge achievement. It seems that your contribution to this site is a full time one so Ive no idea where you get the time or the motivation and energy to commit to this forum.
    Its such a shame I didnt find this forum months ago as Im now addicted, no idea how Im going to return to full time work (Im doing a phased return after surgery) when I have to catch up daily on here.
    The knowledge that you provide on this forum is exceptional to all those who contribute so I dont think its feasible that you can take up any more of your valuable time with further learning, work etc when this forum needs you so much!!