Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New blue badge

New blue badge

My Oh and myself have just been out for the day in a neighbouring county to where we live. We parked in a local car park following their rules about parking in a designated disabled parking bay with my blue badge allowing 3 hours. We get back before the 3 hours are up and lo and behold a parking ticket.

We couldn't understand but this ticket was issued literally 2 minutes after we left the car (he must have watched us leaving the car). It said on the £70 parking fine that we "hadn't displayed a valid disabled person badge in the prescribed manner", we were flummoxed!!!

Well on the way home with me seething I had a look at my new replacement badge (it arrived 2 weeks ago) to find that they now put a "valid from" date on it! My valid date is 6 days away. When my new badge arrived I destroyed my old badge and replaced it with my nice new one not realising that it couldn't be used until my old one expired. In 21 years years of having a blue badge I have always done this as, as far as I know, they have never had "valid from" dates on them.

I'm not aware of any publicity for these new badges and the letter didn't mention it so therefore I didn't notice it.

Has anyone else come across this? Other users be warned.

Yes they do have valid from date on them so you should use your old badge right up to the date it expires. I don't think the accompanying letter says anything but it is there on the front so I suppose they expect you to notice. Bit of a jobsworth to give you a ticket though - like you'd be eligible for a badge in 6 days time but not now. I would challenge the ticket but technically you didn't display a current valid badge so your pleas might fall on deaf ears.

They also have the expiry date on the back now so technically you should be ok if you accidentally display it face down, but I wouldn't risk it.

I don't recall what publicity was around about badge format at the time but the badges have been around since Jan 2012 so not really new anymore!

Was it a council car park or a private car park? What you do do next depends upon your answer.

I haven't noticed a valid from date but will look at mine carefully just to see and so be aware when it is replaced.

I would appeal the ticket giving them the reasons and that you didn't realise that there was now a start date on the badge..
    These parking wardens are getting sly, it appears that they often hide themselves just waiting for someone to leave their car even for a few moments possibly to get change.
    Very deceitful behaviour I call it.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I haven't noticed a valid from date but will look at mine carefully just to see and so be aware when it is replaced.
    It's above the expiry date in small font.

It means that now when you renew a badge your new one starts the day after your current one expires so you don't "lose" any days. Previously the new badge would replace the old one so that as soon as it was issued the previous one became invalid.

you are supposed to have 10 minutes observation before a ticket is issued. Challenge it.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    It's above the expiry date in small font.

This is the sample image that is available in various places on the net. It's not quite the final format, as the font of the expiry date is not quite correct, but it's very close to the final format.

The 'Valid From' date can be seen to the top right of the expiry date. As catlover says, it is in small print.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    It means that now when you renew a badge your new one starts the day after your current one expires so you don't "lose" any days. Previously the new badge would replace the old one so that as soon as it was issued the previous one became invalid.
    Full three year validity without overlap are amongst the many changes in the new Badge. Anyone getting a new Badge now will be amongst the last to get the new style Badge, as they started being issued in January 2012 and the maximum validity of a Blue Badge is 3 years.

My previous badge was issued in 2011 so I hadn't known about the new badge and my local authority didn't inform me of any changes. It just seems very unfair.

Firebird, it was a local council car park.

At the moment I have lodged a informal challenge asking what the problem was, waiting to see what they say and then maybe explaining about not knowing that the new badges had "valid from" dates on them.

£70 is a lot of money out of my State Pension!

Lets hope they see sense.

You said it was a neighbouring borough in which case they won't have your details on record (so be able to see you had a badge prior to this new one) - do you know the badge number on your old badge? If not you could contact your local authority to obtain this. Given that it was a car park (council owned or not) I don't think there is a legal obligation to display a bcb? However, I would try to appeal to their better nature - explain that you had an old badge, got your new one and didn't realise it didn't come into effect for a few more days (as this is your first badge of this type), that you're very sorry and that you are genuinely disabled and a badge holder and hope that they will see sense and cancel the ticket.

If you pay the fine within 14 days I would guess it would be reduced to £35. That applies if you appeal within 14 days too. If you've thrown out your old badge, anything that you can get from your own authority to confirm that you had a valid badge up to the "valid from" date on your new badge might help. They could also contact your local authority themselves to get confirmation of the date on your old badge if they are willing. Usually in these scenarios it comes down to providing evidence that you did hold a valid badge on the particular date even if you didn't display it.

Good luck.

I shredded the old badge
    I will wait now and see what they have to say but thank you all for the helpful information and if I've saved one other person a parking fine, I'm happy.