Thread: esa advice needed

esa advice needed

please help
    my husbands esa contribution runs out the 29th of this month, and i know we re going to be frowned upon, but here goes im a full time mum and my husbands full time carer, i get child tax and carers and child benefit, my husband gets esa contribution based and dla , which includes mobility and care companents, we have been told we can apply for income based esa but will lose 60 straight off, as carers is classes as a wage... Does anyone know how long this process will take and is it a cert we will get it, im all over the place sick with worry please dnt judge and any help would be so appreciated

Hi and welcome
    first of all no one on this site will frown upon you or judge
    IR will depend on your income have you any pensions ? or savings over £6000 ?
    if your sole income is the carers and esa you should get income related yes they do take the cares off but should add on a carers premium
    others should come along who know more than me and explain better
    try not to worry (easier said than done ) xx

I doubt you'll find judgement here.

Your husband needs to fill in and return an ESA3 form to the office dealing with his ESA claim if he has not done so already. This collects information on your joint income, savings and other capital in order to determine his entitlement to Income Related ESA.

You are right to say that your Carer's Allowance will be deducted from his Income Related ESA, but it's far more complex than that. Firstly, you start with a higher personal allowance on a joint Income Related ESA claim than for Contributions Based ESA. As acheron says, though Carer's Allowance is deducted in full, a Carer Premium is added to the ESA entitlement, so the amount of Carer's Allowance is not lost fully.

The complex part is the interplay between Child Tax Credit and Income Related ESA, not least as Income Related ESA is not a taxable benefit unlike Contributions Based ESA. Make sure you update the office dealing with the Child Tax Credit on the loss of your husband's taxable Contributions Based ESA and any tax free Income Related ESA he is awarded.

If you want an independent calculation of your husband's entitlement to Income Related ESA, you will need to seek help from a local advice provider, such as a local authority welfare rights project (if you have one) or Citizen's Advice.