Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPads changing words

iPads changing words

Due to recent problems have been forced to use an IPad instead of my old trusty PC which I prefer. But I've noticed it keeps changing things I type. So sometimes words appear which I've not used, or the one word becomes two and when I read it back it doesn't make sense?

My typings bad enough without this. Is there a way to stop it doing this?

Thanks in advance to any techno experts who know. Mickey Mouse instructions would be needed as I don't know much about them.

What's happening is your iPad is trying to help and speed you along by using 'predictive texting'.

It tries to anticipate what you are typing after a few letters. It can be really useful if you're not to sure how to spell familiar long words.

Say I want to type in 'Constantinople' by the time I have typed up to '...tin' it has highlighted the typed word so far and thrown up the correctly spelt word.

It also learns from it's mistakes. If I type in a word that isn't listed in the English dictionary it will take a wild guess at what is nearest.

Let's take the brand name 'Typhoo'. Predictive texting will suggest the word Typhoon. But if you insist that the word you want to use is Typhoo it won't argue or throw up suggested words.

So in other words - no you can't turn it off. Just try and remember to read your message through and correct errors before posting.

If it's any consolation it happens to me as well on the iPhone.

On another note - try out the voice activation software installed called 'Siri'. You can do all sorts of things with the artificial intelligence - just hold down the central bottom depressed home bottom and Siri will ask you what you want to do.
    In your normal speed voice just say 'I want to send an email' then the magic begins.

Like most things - the more it's used the easier it gets and you'll consider 'predictive texting' a bonus.

I don't have any tablets just an Apple Iphone and IMac. As is custom with Apple they will launch new versions of the OSX system software and new IPhone 6 in September ready for European distribution before Christmas.

ah yes - the iphone and ipad spell correct function - the increased use of these devices to access the internet has opened up a whole new world of entertainment on forums!!

I do find that more often than not it is a help - you just have to keep an eye on it and notice when it's changed something. As Lighttouch says, it learns as you go along - for example it has learnt the names of my cats so now when I start to type the name in it will come up with the correct name and capitalise it for me.

Its the same on my Nokia Lumia, can be very helpful if i accidently press the wrong letter in the middle of a word but can sometimes be awkward when it automatically substitutes a word. I like it when i only have to type in a few letters and it gives me a variety of words to choose from, even then it can be annoying when i start a word with a specific letter and all the varieties start with other letters.

Thanks for the explanations. Looks like I'm stuck with it. I get myself into all sorts of difficulties with this IPad, opening up windows I don't want, it changing sentences to say the opposite of what I mean sometimes, as well as putting in words that make no sense. And if you realise it's changed something , it's hard to get back to change it . OH bought me at Christmas and I told him to take it back as I didn't want it. Technophobe that's me. I think . Lol.

So I've hardly used it until my back ! Which. I've had to correct as this damned thing put in the word jack, which makes no sense started to play up meaning I couldn't use the chair at the PC , as well as Microsoft also decided our browser wasn't going to get any more updates.
    And senior moment I can't even remember the name of it for the moment. Lol.

As for voice activated software, some Scottish accents like mine don't translate well . My BIL has this in his car to change radio stations but can never get it to accept the station number he wants. But it works for my sister.

Onwards and upwards.

Seriouslyfedup, I'm sorry to say that you are using one of the most advanced computer operating systems in the world with cutting edge technology that will be taking off again with IOS8 in October.

You really won't like the next development . . .

iOS 8 predicts what you’ll likely say next. No matter whom you’re saying it to.

Now you can write entire sentences with a few taps. Because as you type, you’ll see choices of words or phrases you’d probably type next, based on your past conversations and writing style. iOS 8 takes into account the casual style you might use in Messages and the more formal language you probably use in Mail. It also adjusts based on the person you’re communicating with, because your choice of words is likely more laid back with your spouse than with your boss. Your conversation data is kept only on your device, so it’s always private.

Predictive text, available around the world.

The iOS 8 predictive text engine is optimized for languages around the world. Which means you’ll see suggested words and phrases that are right for your language. And as you use the keyboard over time, it will learn the way you communicate, get to know your favourite phrases, and suggest a logical next word.Supported languages include English optimized for the U.S., UK, Canada and Australia; French; German; Italian; Portuguese optimized for Brazil; Spanish; and Thai. And, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Japanese Kanji input also continue to feature predictive input.

PS Drop them a message about developing Scottish too!!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 19-07-14 at 05:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Seriouslyfedup, I'm sorry to say that you are using one of the most advanced computer operating systems in the world with cutting edge technology that will be taking off again with IOS8 in October.

You really won't like the next development . . .

iOS 8 predicts what you’ll likely say next. No matter whom you’re saying it to.

Now you can write entire sentences with a few taps. Because as you type, you’ll see choices of words or phrases you’d probably type next, based on your past conversations and writing style. iOS 8 takes into account the casual style you might use in Messages and the more formal language you probably use in Mail. It also adjusts based on the person you’re communicating with, because your choice of words is likely more laid back with your spouse than with your boss. Your conversation data is kept only on your device, so it’s always private.

Predictive text, available around the world.

The iOS 8 predictive text engine is optimized for languages around the world. Which means you’ll see suggested words and phrases that are right for your language. And as you use the keyboard over time, it will learn the way you communicate, get to know your favourite phrases, and suggest a logical next word.Supported languages include English optimized for the U.S., UK, Canada and Australia; French; German; Italian; Portuguese optimized for Brazil; Spanish; and Thai. And, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Japanese Kanji input also continue to feature predictive input.

PS Drop them a message about developing Scottish too!!
    No you're right I won't. Lol. I don't want a machine predicting my speech or what I'd say next. But I'm just overloaded with the speed of change and choice available in the world now. I like the simple things in life. Apart from that our broadband speed is so slow we can't even use a smart TV or Netflix. The price of living in the middle of nowhere . And what is the point of this IPad predictive text when I keep having to correct it all the time, which. I've had to do 3 times now because it's changing words like saturated into supped and all sorts of strange phrases, and the word speed into sipped. Maybe mine is illiterate, or maybe my typing is so bad it gets confused.

But I wouldn't trade my peace and quiet for a faster speed.

try turning it off,go to settings,keyboard, autocorrect,off,

Just tried that slipmaster, works! However I still have a lot of typing errors and my autocapitalisation has gone. Might be quicker in the long run!

Thanks slip I'll give that a try and see how I get on. Maybe a typing course would be the solution for me.