Thread: Negative Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Negative Thoughts

I'm filling in my daughters ESA.
    How negative we have to be!!
    We are told 'Think Positive'
    There are no positives in this form are there????
    Sea Queen

One of the hardest things with any benefit claim is that you have to look directly at the problems you face, rather than looking round them to what you can do.

I send my best wishes to you both.

Thanks Flymo I am sure everyone who has filled this in felt the same. It's so demolerising
    Sea Queen

I believe that thinking about all of the negative aspects of your situation could be terribly harmful to mental health!

Just when you think you have come to terms with your difficulties....these forms come along to damage any optimism you may have built up. The questions are blunt and the answers always depressing. Never good for self esteem.
    Yes these forms do damage peoples mental health, possibly severely for some.

It's maybe one of the reasons mental health issues have increased reading through the questions
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    Just when you think you have come to terms with your difficulties....these forms come along to damage any optimism you may have built up. The questions are blunt and the answers always depressing. Never good for self esteem.
    Yes these forms do damage peoples mental health, possibly severely for some.
    You're quite right, Blackball.

I find it helpful to think of the forms as a special case - a necessary evil if you like. Any functional assessment requires information on how that disability or health condition impinges on your life. This is not a new thing - Attendance Allowance and Mobility Allowance, which were joined together into DLA for people under retirement age, were all about functional impairment.

The level of functional impairment says nothing about how you get on with life, which is mostly about looking past your difficulties so far as is possible, or about your worth, which is about far deeper things that what you can and can't do.

However, it is difficult and distressing to look directly at the problems, which you normally try to ignore so far as possible. Unless I'm filling in a form, I don't concentrate on the number of times I fall over, wet myself, cannot get washed and am limited by my immobility.

I suspect that will be how most people with health challenges will be Flymo and to fill in the form is like a smack in the face!
    Sea Queen

You put it so well, Sea Queen. I send my love and best wishes to you and your daughter.