Thread: ESA Reassessment

ESA Reassessment

I have read that, when people have claimed ESA it has said when they will be reassessed when I got my decision letter it said nothing about when I would be reassessed it just said a return to work in the longer term is unlikely.

ESA is open-ended - you continue as you are unless you are reassessed or entitlement ends for some reason (such as going back to work). DWP are not forced to stick to the proposed reassessment date, either - they have the power in law to reassess anyone on ESA who has not undergone an assessment within the past three months.

If you want to know the proposed reassessment date for your case, phone DWP at the number on the top of a recent ESA letter and ask. The usual maximum period is 3 years for those in the Support Group and 2 years for those in the Work Related Activity Group.

In January, DWP suspended routine reassessments because of the lengthy backlogs for assessment in many parts of the country. I do not know whether routine reassessments have restarted.

John, I was placed in the support group without a medical in April 2013 and was given no indication as to when I would be reassessed. I don't know whether age is a factor in how soon you are reassessed (I'm 58), and whether you are in the support group or the WRAG. I've just been awarded PIP, but don't know whether the DWP will look at that when considering ESA reassessment, or whether they look at each benefit separately rather than an overview of the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by princesstamina View Post
    John, I was placed in the support group without a medical in April 2013 and was given no indication as to when I would be reassessed. I don't know whether age is a factor in how soon you are reassessed (I'm 58), and whether you are in the support group or the WRAG. I've just been awarded PIP, but don't know whether the DWP will look at that when considering ESA reassessment, or whether they look at each benefit separately rather than an overview of the individual.
    Thank you for the reply I was placed in the WRAG group in 2013 I also did not have a medical, I thought I would have been placed in the support group but I guess I did not meet the requirements seemed a bit odd that they write that a return to work in the longer term is unlikely than they put you in the work related group.