Thread: just been signed off work sick, worried need advice

just been signed off work sick, worried need advice

hi, i have been struggling for months with a bad back that doesnt seem to be going away at the minute. I have worked through it but my work mates have made it aware that they can see im struggling and would need to speak to management, (which is a fair comment) my job is very physical. I have tried holidays but nothing seems to help at the minute.
    So today I went to the doctors who has signed me off sick for 4 weeks, i didnt want this to happen but I have to be realistic.
    I am married (my wife is a full time mum and doesnt work) with 1 year old twins and a teenager.
    I work full time and receive the following income after tax..
    Tax credits £750 per month.
    Housing ben £350 per month.
    Wages £1020 a month
    Child benefit £180 a month.

my wife doesnt claim anything such as jsa etc....

with the cost of living like some, we have no social life lol, watch the pennies and we have little left every month, and apart from sky dont really have any treats or anything. I know i will save £130 a month in fuel costs for work but as my employer doesnt pay sick pay apart from SSP i dont know how im going to manage, by the time next months money comes around Im going to be stuffed and will sell a few belongings to tie us over, am I able to claim anything if this continues for another 4 weeks. Rite now, i dont know if 4 weeks is enough time for me to recover and really worried the doctor is going to keep signing me off. I put my back down to just aches and pains with getting older, the doctor didnt show much interest, i wasnt referred or examined really. As i never go to the doctors i didnt know what i should expect. Their is no option at work for light duties but right now walking around and getting dressed is a struggle.
    Its pretty depressing feeling like this at only 34 yeards old! i dont want to be sat at home with no income

any advice would be really appreciated.

Regards

Adrian

If you need to sign on the sick you must contact JC+ and ask for form ESA1 and then return that together with the fit note the GP provided you with, I would advise you to make copies of these to keep.

If your situation looks likely to extend for some time I would also strongly suggest you talk to a qualified benefits adviser, through an organisation like your local CAB or Welfare Rights, ask for a 'full benefit check'. As you appear to be in receipt of a number of different benefits and they all need to be informed of any change in your circumstances and the adviser will probably be able to explain what you can receive has a result of that.

All the best with it.
    Last edited by Jard; 17-07-14 at 02:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    If you need to sign on the sick you must contact JC+ and ask for form ESA1 and then return that together with the fit note the GP provided you with
    There is no entitlement to ESA whilst there is any Statutory Sick Pay. As Adrian is employed, he must, in the first instance, accept Statutory Sick Pay from his employer.

It is possible the temporary drop in income leads to favourable knock on consequences in the Housing Benefit situation and potentially the Tax Credits situation. I endorse your advice, Jard, to get help from a local advice provider.

If you are a member of a trade union, Adrian, it would be worth talking to them. It is possible that this situation is an industrial injury, which might make the employer liable in tort of negligence (for example, if they breached the duty of care owed by not adopting best practice in manual lifting). It might also be an accident giving rise to an entitlement to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Hopefully a few weeks will lead to an improvement in the situation. Unfortunately, there is no magic cure for back pain.

Hope you get some relief re the back Adrian
    didnt write anything the day I saw your post, as what you needed was advice from people who knew what you would be entitled to and I didnt know
    However, I just wanted to wish you luck and also my first thoughts were,,,,,how comes we never here about people like Adrian on those silly tv programmes like benefits britain etc
    Obviously cos it doesnt make good telly,but I am fed up of seeing the sort of people they portray,sometimes I get embarrassed when I watch them

I'd also get back in touch with your. GP. He may think a few weeks off will resolve this, but my OH aged 60 who is on his feet all day at work and also has to lift things was immediately offered access to physio to learn exercises which build the core strength in his back. Which helped. He gets sciatica and sometimes his leg gives way due to his back. But he's managed with it for a few years now. Not sure if he'll manage to retirement age with it in the same type of work.