Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I be entitled to any other benefits now I'm receiving PIP?

Will I be entitled to any other benefits now I'm receiving PIP?

I receive £26 per week contribution based ESA, as I have two small pensions. I know I wouldn't qualify for any means tested benefits as my husband works, but now that I'm receiving standard rate PIP for both daily living and moving around, is there anything else I might be eligible for?

In general, if you are unsure you are claiming everything you are entitled to, it's best to get help from a local advice provider (such as a local authority welfare rights project if you have one, or Citizen's Advice).

As your husband works, you are almost certainly correct in saying you are not entitled to any means tested help. His employment almost certainly prevents him from claiming Carer's Allowance. On the basis of what you say, I suspect that you are claiming everything you are entitled to, but it's worth checking with an advice provider to be sure.

You might be able to get reduced prices on entry fees etc to certain activities and things like that. A blue badge perhaps if you don't already have one. There's a lot of these things available , but I'm not the right person to advise on them. I'm sure other helpful posters will.

You may be able to get free prescriptions, dental care and optical checks depending on household income even if your husband works. Worth looking into but it is means tested.

Entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment requires 8 points or more for "moving around".

If you live in Scotland or Wales, 12 points on "planning and following journeys" is an alternative route to a Blue Badge without further assessment. England chose not to offer this.

Anyone on PIP who isn't entitled to a Blue Badge without further assessment can apply via the assessment route.

Standard rate Mobility PIP entitles you to half price tax on one car or van - you should have got a Certificate of Entitlement and an explanatory leaflet in your PIP award letter.

There's more details on the consequential entitlements of a PIP Mobility component in the sticky PIP thread. If you are applying for a Blue Badge, that is best done online in my opinion.

The NHS web site has more information on help with NHS costs in England. Scotland and Wales operate their own schemes.

Thanks Flymo, I didn't get a leaflet with my PIP decision, but have applied for a reduction in my vehicle excise duty from the DVLA. I rang my local council to confirm whether I would be eligible for a bus pass and they said yes, but when I attended my appointment they apologised and said they had got it wrong (not for the first time apparently) and I wasn't eligible, so a wasted journey. What does surprise me is the difference between Scotland and England with regard to travel passes/blue badges etc - I hadn't realised it varied so much.

From a social point of view it would be worth you asking if there are concessions for a disabled person's carer or PA. Usually any local authority funded arts project/theatre would offer 241 tickets.

National Trusts also offer 241 entrance fees for disabled people plus one helper.

Cinema - you'd need to check if you are eligible for 241 concessionary pass. Check out - http://www.cinemauk.org.uk/cea-card/

Cheaper rail fares - check to see if you are eligible - http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/

Blue badge criteria -
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...ue_badge_w.htm
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 17-07-14 at 10:09.

Thanks Lighttouch - I will look into your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by princesstamina View Post
    I receive £26 per week contribution based ESA, as I have two small pensions. I know I wouldn't qualify for any means tested benefits as my husband works, but now that I'm receiving standard rate PIP for both daily living and moving around, is there anything else I might be eligible for?
    Hi there

You could always ask your local council for a reduction in your council tax bill due to you being disabled. All local councils offer this providing you meet the qualifying criteria. My local council's website lists the following "grounds for application" 1. The disabled person must live in the dwelling. 2. A room which is predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of the disabled person. 3. A second bathroom or kitchen is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person. 4. A wheelchair is used indoors by the disabled person. I successfully applied for this for a relative of mine. My local council were very helpful and in fact prompted me to apply on the grounds of 1 above. I got the impression that they can be quite flexible in their approach to this. So, it's definitely worth looking on your council's website about this and perhaps giving them a ring. If you are successful your bill will be reduced to that of a property immediately below the band shown on your local evaluation list. It could be worth between approximately £150 - £500 per year. Good luck in asking.

Please note - to qualify - you only have to comply with number 1 above and one of either 2, 3 and 4. You don't need to meet all of the above.

Buster
    Last edited by buster21; 18-07-14 at 08:21.

Very often different councils follow their own criteria over and above the national guidelines. Apply, they can only say yes or no.