Thread: Incapacity Benefit: Should I inform the DWP of a temporary change of address?

Incapacity Benefit: Should I inform the DWP of a temporary change of address?

I am on incapacity benefit, and I am in the process of moving home. I have moved out of my old home and I am temporarily living with a family member before moving into my new home. I have been living with my relative for two weeks and I hope to move permanently to my new home in about two to three weeks time.

My question is, should I inform the DWP of my current (and temporary) change of address? I have a postal redirect system in place, so any correspondence is re-directed to me, so that is not a problem. But I will be moving again soon and I don't want to contact to the DWP twice.

Lots of views but no answers. I'm guessing people are curious about this but no one knows. Should I err on the side of caution and notify the DWP? Could I be in trouble because I haven't already notified them? Should stay quiet? Also I've had to register with a local GP to get my medication. Hopefully I'll be moving in about 3 weeks. Getting worried here.

Sorry I don't know what the rules say about this sort of scenario but personally I don't think I'd bother. Given that it's for a short period of time and you have mail from your previous address re-directed to where you are now, I'd wait until moved to the new permanent address. But I must re-iterate that I don't know what the DWP require you to do so I suppose the best thing would be to ring and ask them whether they need to note your temporary address.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    Sorry I don't know what the rules say about this sort of scenario but personally I don't think I'd bother. Given that it's for a short period of time and you have mail from your previous address re-directed to where you are now, I'd wait until moved to the new permanent address. But I must re-iterate that I don't know what the DWP require you to do so I suppose the best thing would be to ring and ask them whether they need to note your temporary address.
    Thanks for trying to help. Contacting the DWP is something I try to avoid as it makes me nervous. I can't find anything about a temporary change of address. I'm leaning towards waiting until I move before I contact them. Again thanks for trying to help.

How about a compromise: wait until you have a date to move to your new address, then let DWP have both your temporary and new permanent addresses, together with the date you expect to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    How about a compromise: wait until you have a date to move to your new address, then let DWP have both your temporary and new permanent addresses, together with the date you expect to move it.
    That's a good idea. As long as the move doesn't drag on, I will do that. I'm just a bit nervous that I will be penalised for not contacting them immediately, but I don't want to contact them twice. I will wait a week. Hopefully I'll have a fixed move date by then. If not, I'll probably have to call. I'll see. Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by rizla View Post
    Contacting the DWP is something I try to avoid as it makes me nervous.
    In that case I would not contact them and just wait until you move into your permanent address. You are contactable and will receive any letters from them so I would just leave things as they are until you move again.