Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mental Health - sanctions warning!

I really can't see how this is going to help anyone but the government.

My flatmate has mental health problems as well as physical ones and has been under the care of his local mental health team. He has just had 2 appointments with a Psychotherapist who said the next appointment will probably be his last.

This has done absolutely nothing to help. In fact i have noticed him getting more and more agitated as he has been "encouraged" to talk about his past. The different kinds of medication he has been on, from antidepressants to anti anxiety and ADD tablets have also not helped. He's also had CBT in the past.

Wonder what they would suggest for him as his mental health team seem to have hit a brick wall. He's been waiting to see a mental health advocate as well, for 9 months, and could really do with their help. He wasn't waiting that long to see his worker so that goes to show the stress things are already under.

Next thing they'll be doing is making people with only Mental Health problems only qualify for wrag, or change the ESA criteria.

What about those that are already accessing support. Will they be automatically be classed as "cured" and will those, whom the treatment has had no effect, be forced into more and more treatments.
    Last edited by galeforce81; 13-07-14 at 17:02. Reason: Adding spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    It is nonsense as they are cutting NHS all the time. Unless they plan to employ or assign some newly titled expert 'Mental Health Officers'.
    Don't you see that this is their intention.
    Privatise (another) part of the NHS by mandating benefits claimants to private companies instead.

I have read this story today i know someone who is severely depressed and has really bad anxiety problems which they are not able to meet people socially, do this Government realize just how bad it is for these people on a daily basis? oh wait no they really don't have a clue do they...and to make them prove if they are really as mentally ill as they are...i thought this Government couldn't stoop lower with what they have done to the poorly but i guess i was wrong.

All this is just going to make the mentally ill even more worse with stress and worry and probably there will be more suicides?

Quote Originally Posted by Paty01 View Post
    All this is just going to make the mentally ill even more worse with stress and worry and probably there will be more suicides?
    Just what I have said, a means of culling claimants.

'Privatise (another) part of the NHS by mandating benefits claimants to private companies instead'
    Exactly right. Create or hire another company to do the job. Put them on high commission to find ways to cut benefits to the vulnerable.
    Regardless of consequences. Pay by results.

Where as i definitely think it is unfair that those with mental health problems will perhaps have no choice whether to access treatment. Something similar is already accounted for, for those with physical disabilities in that treatment/medication/aids that they think is reasonable for you to use they class as you using them ie imaginary wheelchair.

I think it is all outrageous. I know of someone who's report says it would be reasonable for her to take a certain medication even though her GP wouldn't prescribe that (even though she herself begged him) because of the other meds she was on.
    Nevertheless she won her tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by galeforce81 View Post
    Where as i definitely think it is unfair that those with mental health problems will perhaps have no choice whether to access treatment. Something similar is already accounted for, for those with physical disabilities in that treatment/medication/aids that they think is reasonable for you to use they class as you using them ie imaginary wheelchair.

I think it is all outrageous. I know of someone who's report says it would be reasonable for her to take a certain medication even though her GP wouldn't prescribe that (even though she herself begged him) because of the other meds she was on.
    Nevertheless she won her tribunal.
    But how are they going to get someone who is psychologically not able to be in the surrounding company of other people? there are people who will not be able to attend these therapy classes and then what happens? i think this Government has done so much damage already to the vulnerable and needy do we need to see more harm done... all they are doing is thinking up more ways to stop sick benefits which is appalling.
    Last edited by Paty01; 14-07-14 at 22:48.

And are they going to give extensive physical tests for some causes of depression. I know of people who have been treated for a mental health problems only to find its had a physical cause but they were not listened to. Its when you have been diagnosed with depression in the past that mostly everything you go to your GP with is thought to be pure mental and there lies the problem. I can see this leading to more and more medical claims to be honest for delayed diagnosis or missed diagnosis. Lots of physical health problems manifest themselves as depression and anxiety.

I have been in mental health (NHS) and MIND also just prior complaining of something not being right for years which had a definite start time and prominent symptoms (started years ago).

I had thought I had a tumour or something else serious (and no, I was not paranoid or a hypochondriac either) as I had pure physical symptoms but because of my past (which I had thought I had dealt with) it was thought it was purely mental. I was not the type to be honest, I have always had problems but never to the point of not being able to do some work and for a considerable length of time in the same job.

I was put into mental health therapy due to this and made to relive my past over and over and to be honest it was then that I was told this and that was my problem and it completely wrecked my relationship (which was already rocky) with my family which at that time maybe did have a chance of being reconciled (wrecked numerous lives).

I now believe that the past should perhaps stay in the past as much as we are able and sometimes these things are not helpful in the end because if you are depressed CBT will dig and dig for an answer as to why and sometimes its so far from the truth but we are led to believe it to be our cause because we are vulnerable. Depression to me is not something that can be treated except without time and patience and blaming, finding causes, long term medications (except in extreme cases), pushing people do nothing to help whatsoever and mostly it causes long term other problems with trust and potential suicides.

Mental health is similar to a physical problem, its just that chemicals in our brain get out of sorts. Not everyone is helped by medication. Often for some meds can make things worse. We just need time, understanding and support and with that we can help ourselves a little more. Who is to say that with CBT their view of what is wrong is right? It often is not.

How many people who go to their doctors and ask for help have to wait years to get it? I know that I did when it was said I was depressed. I still needed to live thought and needed an income. We are told by our doctors not to work and then if we do we are told we have bought things on ourselves and blamed and made to feel guilty but what do we do without money. How many employers would take someone on with depression and keep them on? A knockback again is something that someone already depressed often cannot stand. You cannot rush someone to open up who had got depression. Its illness just the same as something physical and lots of times has an undiagnosed physical cause but its far easier to some doctors to just hand over a bottle of pills and send them away not ever mentioning the side effects some of which are irreversible even when stopped and also coming off medication can cause severe withdrawal and again this can make some people suicidal alone.

I can just see lots of lawsuits here against anyone that has been involved in the care of someone with depression and mental health because that is what will happen if thing go pear shaped and it will.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 15-07-14 at 12:34.

When I read that article, it caused me to be very, very ill for a couple of days.

I am one of those who has reached dead ends at every single turn when it comes to mental health. I'm too old to be classed as a young adult according to our local mental health team (25 and under) and but too young to be considered for other help! (I'm 26.)

I don't see it ending well if I'm forced into something. If I'm backed into a corner, I lash out due to some things in my past.

*sigh*

I'm not surprised at all. I know the Government mindset. They believe that people who are disabled are useless eaters and so on.

Well it looks like a good majority of people including myself are going to have to jump though more hoops. This will effect everyone. Don't just think that people in ESA Work Related Activity Group will be effected by this. This will apply to every ESA claimant including the Support Group.

Now most of you may be thinking how can they get away with this? Simple. There is huge overwhelming support to get out of the European Union. This will include a exodus from the European Unions Court of Human Rights. And there for the British Government will be free to treat disabled people as they see fit.

But don't worry. We are the so called "Benefit Scrounger Army". As a collective of different people we have built communities that educate and share information. We will find ways where they will be unable to sanction people with mental health problems and create guides how to enable people to stop the Government cutting the needed resources which a disabled person needs to live.

I mean let me just recite a few things we've done.

1. Worked out the whole ESA system.
    2. Worked out the whole PIP system. (Shout out to Flymo you are brilliant!)
    3. Found ways round the bedroom tax.
    4. Fought and won against the Government trying to close the ILF.
    5. Got rid of ATOS and made IDS/DWP look like idiots.

We just need to get into battle mode and start searching for information regarding this Conservative idea of sanctioning people with mental health disabilities.