Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can people check if your car is a motability car?

Can people check if your car is a motability car?

Hi
    As title says. I have a friend who is very nosey, and I do not want to disclose my finances re. PIP or motability.

This person will check, just to be nosey, and I know it.

Thanks in advance.

If you remove the 'new car suppliers' window sticker / or 'Motability' supplier sticker it would defo make it harder for your 'friend' to suss out.
    Though, if you claim car tax exemption, it may well have NIL on the tax disc which might get your 'friends' mind working overtime.
    This friend of yours sounds lovely.

Until October (when the tax disc is discarded) your friend could walk up to your vehicle and note the 'Disabled' classification and also the 'Fleet' designation which infers it's a Motability car - but only if s/he know about Motability as not everyone does.

I presume they know you are disabled, therefore a 'Disabled' tax disc won't be a problem - In October they will have to use the internet to find the same information, apart from 'fleet' which doesn't appear on the website.

They won't know you receive PIP/DLA unless they again know why a car has a 'disabled' classification, and then go searching on the net for the reasons.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

So looking at the tax disc will show it's motability. Sorry, I'm just new to this, 99% of people don't know I'm disabled, my diagnosis is neurological. I'm just concious of being judged at this stage, but if it happens, it happens.

lvb you're not wrong

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

My disability is hidden but my friends know that I'm disabled.

Don't worry too much about it, just say you got a good lease deal - as that in essence is what it is.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Indeed. You don't need to tell 'em anything.

As Paul says, the Tax Discs are being phased out in October (i never knew that either!) which does away with one massive 'tell tale' sign of a Mobility Component award.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaz View Post
    So looking at the tax disc will show it's motability........
    No. The tax-disc only shows that the vehicle's Excise-Class is DISABLED. It doesn't show whether it is a Motability vehicle or your own vehicle - the tax-disc would be the same in either case. Of course if the vehicle was your own, you could choose NOT to claim the VED exemption, then you would pay your own road-tax AND the tax-disc would show PRIVATE / LIGHT GOODS. With a Motability car you don't have that option.

tobyratter
    Seriously why do you care? If someone has a problem with the disabled class of taxation or having a motability car then tell them - 'isn't it brilliant? - no road tax to pay and a car all paid for £56 a week!!!' That should shut them up.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded99 View Post
    No. The tax-disc only shows that the vehicle's Excise-Class is DISABLED. It doesn't show whether it is a Motability vehicle or your own vehicle - the tax-disc would be the same in either case. Of course if the vehicle was your own, you could choose NOT to claim the VED exemption, then you would pay your own road-tax AND the tax-disc would show PRIVATE / LIGHT GOODS. With a Motability car you don't have that option.
    There are very few if any non-Motability cars in the DISABLED taxation class that will have a tax disc with the FLEET designator on it, though, as Paul points out, there will be no way to tell the difference between Motability and other VED exempt vehicles once paper tax discs cease being issued and used in October.

PRIVATE LIGHT GOODS (PLG) as a taxation class is almost obsolete now, in that all cars first registered after 1 March 2001 are taxed based on the CO2 emissions (in grams per km) and the fuel type (petrol, diesel or alternative fuel).

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    There are very few if any non-Motability cars in the DISABLED taxation class that will have a tax disc with the FLEET designator on it, though, as Paul points out, there will be no way to tell the difference between Motability and other VED exempt vehicles once paper tax discs cease being issued and used in October.

PRIVATE LIGHT GOODS (PLG) as a taxation class is almost obsolete now, in that all cars first registered after 1 March 2001 are taxed based on the CO2 emissions (in grams per km) and the fuel type (petrol, diesel or alternative fuel).
    Simple answer... Yes

http://fleetbooking.kwik-fit.com/tyr...3228S&sec=7197

If your friend (or any member of the public) put your plate details into kwikfits motability / fleet booking site it will tell you which fleet manages the vehicle.