Thread: cheap labour or what

cheap labour or what

my 17 year old daughter has appliedfor job after job ,day after day, she has been on loads of so called job experience schemes.she never misses a day ,always smart always on time.at the moment she is on a 16 week job experience for a company that lease hotel and appartments. from 9 till 5 mon to fri putting all her effort into it and what is her reward .£55 pounds per week which works out at all of 1,30 per hour. are our kids being used or what .all this is doing is keeping people out of work and making the rich richer at the expense of our kids....

If there is an expectation that your daughter is there at specified times and is given specified duties to carry out, these obligations might entitle her to the national minimum wage. It is a question of what was the intention of the parties at the time they agreed, which might constitute a contract for employment even if was not described as such.

The issue of whether internships and work experience schemes are actually employment or not is a vexed one, covered in this House of Commons Library Standard Note.

Sounds to me like she is 'shadowing' and getting paid travel and lunch fees.

When I was a youngster you found that the best way of gaining experience in a career of your choice was to offer your services free of charge just to get your foot in the door.

I've been involved in giving people work experience. What people tend to forget is that if you are involved in showing someone the ropes you invariably can't get much done yourself. Trainees cost money unless they are 'self-starters'.

Most companies want to start someone who has some experience so that they don't need to be spoon fed every task.

What's happening with your daughter is that someone is taking time out and letting your daughter shadow, observe and take on board tasks for that job.

At the end of that period she'll have gained valuable experience and be an asset to a company.

You could say she is investing in her own future. It's a small price to pay if she is offered a job at the end of it.

Remember, even solicitors start off shadowing for 6 months and only get paid travel expenses as an article clerk.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 08-07-14 at 13:16.

today im delighted to announce after almost a year of applying for hundreds of jobs my daughter has finally landed her first real job.she will be employed by the local council..... result....

Hooray!!!

I'm really pleased for your daughter. All her hard work has paid dividends!

That's great news. Well done to her.

So pleased for your daughter well done to her, she must have made a very good impression. Hope she enjoys it and makes progress.

Great news. Hope your daughter enjoys her new position, and well done to her for continuing in what can seem soul destroying circumstances in unpaid positions to get here. She's a credit to you and your family.

wonder if doing the "cheap labour" thing went in her favour
    Although it makes me angry that some companies just take advantage,for young people I do believe that to do something is better than nothing and that having it on her CV would have given her that extra edge
    The very best of luck to her!