Thread: Repaglinide - Anyone have any Information.

Repaglinide - Anyone have any Information.

Among other things I am Type 2 Diabetic. The main Drug that I take for this is Repaglinide and it works fine for both me and my Wife. Yesterday I collected my Prescription and the Chemist informed me that it was very possible that Repaglinide was to be stopped being produced.

He went on to say that this could mean that I would not get my prescription of Repaglinide filled next month. Disaster as far as me and Mrs Kodiak as we both get on well with this particular Drug.

So do any other Diabetics out there who also take Repaglinide have any information regarding this situation.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

I'm not a diabetic, but I've had a dig around on the web, especially the regulatory bodies' web sites. I can't find any evidence of repaglinide being discontinued, though it is possible there is a supply issue.

Thank you flymo for your reply. I also could not find any information on the net, one reason why I made this post. My Pharmacist was asured by his supplier that they were to be discontinued due to lack of demand. I really can not see this as they are in high demand.

Personally I do believe it has something to do with the high cost of the drug as it costs about £220 for a Months supply for me alone. The Diabetic Nurse is always trying to get me to change to a drug that cost far less but so far I have stood my ground.

What I have decided to do is to write to the Company that makes them and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks Once more,
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Repaglinide is now available as a generic drug, so the costs are fairly low. The NHS Electronic Drug Tariff gives the cost for 90 tablets as £9.30 for 500ug, £9.61 for 1mg and £5.79 for 2mg. That's the maximum amount a pharmacy can claim for the drug itself - dispensing fees are on top.

I know what you mean flymo. I have had my BP tablets changed to generic and I swear they do not work as well but I was told that my original ones cost too much whereas my generic actually make money for the NHS because they do not cost as much as I pay each month. I had googled my old brand (the official ones) and no one had any side effects of these (irbesartan) at all so to speak and now there are pages and pages of people complaining of this and that since being changed. I was told by my chemist that I can ask for a private prescription of the named brand but they would cost ME over £30 a month hence I just have to put up with generics.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    Repaglinide is now available as a generic drug, so the costs are fairly low. The NHS Electronic Drug Tariff gives the cost for 90 tablets as £9.30 for 500ug, £9.61 for 1mg and £5.79 for 2mg. That's the maximum amount a pharmacy can claim for the drug itself - dispensing fees are on top.
    Yes I have seen this but there lies the rub so to speak as these prices are for England and Wales only and I live in Scotland. As of yet I have not been able to find out the price in Scotland but in reality there should not be much of a difference, but you never can tell.

Looks like I will have to wait and see what happens ofer the next few weeks and keep my fingers crossed.
    Edgar Allen Poe