Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Trainee' disabled newby seeking advice from 'well practiced' disabled scooter users

You've hit the nail on the head there, Fliss. I am going around in circles because I haven't decided on which scooter or which car and I need to get a starting point. I suppose the scooter is the logical starting point. I have had a bit of a play with some at our local shopmobility place (including the eclipse) but I could do with going somewhere else and trying some out, asking questions etc. The Pride Go Go is another one I am looking at.

I have just been out to lunch and I saw a man with what looked like a TGA Eclipse scooter so I stopped him and asked about it. It was an Eclipse and he seemed very happy with it. I do like the appearance of the Eclipse. It looks a bit more modern than some scooters.

now here's an idea - surely someone must have thought of this....

Just stumbled upon this on the internet

https://www.simplyhealth.co.uk/sh/pa...s/go-chair.jsp

Now that to me looks like the back half of a scooter! So here's my idea - design a scooter that can be used as a scooter or taken apart into 2 sections and the back part used as a chair!

Catlover,

This is the sort of thing you need. https://www.simplyhealth.co.uk/sh/pa...pectra-xtr.jsp

I used to have a Scottish girlfriend who had a motorised wheelchair like this. She used to visit me from Edinbrugh via the train.

She used to carry her crutches at the back. She packed a weeks worth of clothes and hung the bag over the handles and carried smaller shoulder bags on herself She used to get to Manchester Piccadilly then hop on the tram and get herself to my front door bearing a wide smile. We use to charge it up in my garage then when going by car I'd remove both 12volt batteries, fold the arms down, concertina the chair together then place it in the rear of my Renault Scenic Automatic MPV.

This youtube video doesn't sing it's praises but to my mind it does everything I ask of it and more.

Last edited by Lighttouch; 15-07-14 at 13:42.

I don't dislike the scenic but I'd rather have a Peugeot 3008

Hi I have had a try of the scooter/chair you posted at the Motabilty day. I really liked it, and now have it in the back of my mind as a possible next scooter. The salesman was from the company at the Trafford centre (I'm sorry unsure if Scootamart or UKS mobility) and he told me I could borrow one for a day/week/weekend (been looking at a few and got a bit hazy about the details). This might really help you even if you couldn't take it out in your current car. I use a power chair at work, and the one above felt more like this - it turned on a sixpence. Couldn't tell how it would be on footpaths, etc though.

Apologies have just found the brochure. I tried this http://www.romamedical.co.uk/p_wheel...model_no=SUL-7 have seen the Pride one elsewhere. Had forgotten about the headrest (not sure if there was one on the model I tried) and you have to take the battery off to charge it, but you could fold the back down. I think there a few of these chair/scooters about now.

Catlover, you may have tried this route but if I were you I'd refer myself to Access to Work regarding n electric scooter and a proportion of the Advance Payment towards a motability car and hoist.

You'll never get what you never ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Catlover, you may have tried this route but if I were you I'd refer myself to Access to Work regarding n electric scooter and a proportion of the Advance Payment towards a motability car and hoist.

You'll never get what you never ask for.
    I have every intention of doing just that but can't ask re motability AP when I'm not currently eligible for motability (I'm still waiting for my PIP assessment). Of course if I'm turned down for enhanced mobility (which would be ridiculous given my poor walking but ridiculous PIP decisions aren't exactly a rarity) I could always make a case to Access to work for a scooter to keep me in work due to my difficulty walking from car to work. I think I set a new record today for the length of time taken to walk from work to my car (about 70-80m but from office to car door probably nearer 100m). I timed myself and it took 27 minutes If I get enhanced mobility I will be pursuing all options via Access to work and motability grants with respect to AP, cost of adaptations etc.

I definitely don't want a chair at the moment as really feel a scooter fits the bill best but I am intrigued at the concept of a scooter/chair combo that would give the best of both worlds. I don't need to use a wheelchair at work yet as I just ask someone else to go if I need something from too far away and phone/email people rather than walk to their desk, but in a different work scenario I can see a powerchair that turns on a sixpence being useful at work.

Interesting that there seem to be more of those scooter type chairs around. It just needs some bright young design student to come along and have a lightbulb moment to create the first scooter chair combo!
    Last edited by catlover; 15-07-14 at 21:51.

I have decided that the best thing to do will be to hire a tga eclipse for a week and see whether I like it. It will be a struggle to take it apart and get it into my car, but it's only by using it all day that I'll know whether it's the one for me. I am going to contact this place

http://www.rentascoota.co.uk/mobilit...-mobility.html

Then I'll take a few days off work and give it a good try out. It's only by sitting in one all day that I'll discover whether it is comfortable enough and gives me sufficient back support.

Definitely go the hire route. We hired a manual for a holiday in Rhodes in 2012. By doing this we realised I needed back brakes (operated by the person pushing you). in your case you will get idea of whether it will cope with fottpaths, slopes and whether you can or cannot lift it into a car/taxi.