Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: 'Trainee' disabled newby seeking advice from 'well practiced' disabled scooter users

I have looked at the TGA Eclipse and had a go at taking it apart but no way could I do it with one hand. A fit, able bodied person might be able to do it with one hand! I couldn't. I like the Eclipse and for a long time it was my no.1 choice but I now prefer the Pride go go sport as it has some suspension in the chair (not sure how good that will be but I have back problems and need all the help I can get) and also larger wheels than the Eclipse which will help absorb some bumps and make it a bit more suitable for some outdoor use.

There is no way you can take an eclipse out of a car boot and assemble it with one hand. The main body requires two hands to lift it. Sorry.

I've found that scooter showroom staff can sometimes under estimate how difficult it is to assemble scooters!

If you think you will find it difficult (and it seems we all think you will) then I wonder if you've ever considered a car boot hoist? (You may have other reasons to take it apart, I'm assuming it's to get it in and out of a boot) This isn't a cheap option, it means you need to have a car with a big boot, etc. I have one and love it, I am unable to lift a wheelchair or scooter. People often stop to ask me about it, and many people say they've never seen one before.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3SmaV5ezNc

In case you've never seen one! The man on this clip holds onto the back of the scooter, but you don't need to. You may need to slightly guide the angle it goes into the boot (which would mean putting the handheld control down for a minute) but I reckon it would be easy enough to use the hoist with one hand.

May not be something you're at all interested in! But it might mean you could have a sturdier scooter and you wouldn't need to assemble it.
    Just a thought.

I was considering using a hoist but worried that it would take up even more space in my boot. My eclipse arrives Monday and for the sake of research I will attempt to assemble it with one hand and post the video to Youtube. I won't try lifting into the car though. Might try loading the Luggie into my car and posting the video as well.

Yes a fully assembled scooter + hoist doesn't leave much usable boot space, and the boot needs to be large.

A good idea to post your video, I'm sure other people in a similar situation would find it useful. I recall looking online at scooters (which is actually very little use) about 6 years ago and being irritated to see an able bodied man putting together a scooter only using one hand to show how easy it was. Seemed as though he had no awareness that he had full strength in both his legs and core abdominal muscles, etc etc and that people who only have use of one hand/arm may well have some weakness through one side of their body, not just hand/arm and this may affect balance, etc all of which affects lifting. I have cerebral palsy and try hard to keep myself fit, etc but I can't lift heavy things as my balance isn't good enough even though my arm muscles are reasonably strong.

People should not give advice without some knowledge of what they're talking about!

I agree with Fliss regarding an AB person demonstrating how to get a scooter in a boot one handed. Account is not taken of disabilities.
    I have quite a lot of upper body strength but know I couldn't manage a scooter with one arm. I too have very little sense of balance and I can only just manage my walking frame by sitting on the bumper and swinging it up and round with one arm whilst holding on with the other and in reverse to get it out. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that we get older and our strength will diminish regardless of how hard we try to keep it up.
    You also need to look to the future as it is an expense that doesn't want to be repeated in a couple of years.

Received delivery of my new TGA Eclipse on Monday and managed to unpack it myself. It was a bit touch and go at times but managed to get there in the end (took 3 short breaks!). Here is my Youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Um4TGBn2VE

Must say though the high capacity battery is seriously heavy. When I've got time I going to try to assemble it myself.

Oh well done!

Do you like it? It seems like a good scooter.

@Fliss

I do like the look of it. I think it looks better than the Luggie and Minimo.

I haven't tried it yet as it has been raining most of the day. I've got the battery charging and plan to give it a whirl tomorrow :-)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Received delivery of my new TGA Eclipse on Monday and managed to unpack it myself. It was a bit touch and go at times but managed to get there in the end (took 3 short breaks!). Here is my Youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Um4TGBn2VE

Must say though the high capacity battery is seriously heavy. When I've got time I going to try to assemble it myself.
    Well, I watched your youtube video with interest.

I find it hard to believe that a disability scooter company is prepared to deliver a product boxed up and run!

Surely a better service would be to deliver and assemble it then give a demo on how to dismantle it. If it costs Q£50 extra so be it.

It would be silly for me to attempt to get it out of the box as the only arm that works is the one that holds the crutch and keeps me standing.

My way around it would be to place a chair to one side then cherry pick stuff with my good hand.

Like you, I'd resort to destroying the box to wheel out the base unit.

The scooter still wouldn't be suitable for me taking it in and out of the car daily.
    Thanks for showing a true representation of how a disabled person tackles unpacking - glad you didn't loose your balance!