Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hello
    A year ago I filled out the assessment form for atos, and 11 months later I had my 2nd one on one, following week I received a letter saying I am now on support (what ever that means) I was shocked how long it was before my one on one, as my money was reduced, and now it's back to normal again, but I just wish it had been sorted faster as it's been a year almost that I've had to live on less money, they should take it from when you send the form in not a year later, very frustrating as I worry a lot and get stressed, my last two assessments were very fast.
    Any idea if I am entitled to any back payments ?
    My wife thinks I should apply for higher rate of care as I can't do very much now, but I am so worried they will stop what I got, as I've heard horrid story's that if you apply for higher care component they could stop my high DLA, sorry if this sound s sill but it scares me, I've stayed on high DLA and low care rate for years now as I don't want any complications, be nice to hear from others who have done this.
    Thank you for your time

Hello T

With regard to your first point, every award of ESA is open ended and continues until a new decision is made and any back payments are usually dated to/from the date of the assessment, whether it was either a face to face or paper based, as that's the time they first became aware of any change in your condition to enable the new decision. All a bit complicated I know but that's the way it is, so if you have a nil payment because of the 365 day rule and a prognosis of 24months, that's a year (or more) with no money.
    Though, if you believe your condition has changed, for the worse, in that time and you have evidence of it you can apply for a Supersession/Review of your case to get the decision changed and that should be back dated to time you informed them.

Regarding your DLA, you need to look at the PIP Post Code Map to determine if your area is one where, when you apply for a review of you case it is automatically switched to an application for PIP. Notwithstanding that you have to keep in mind that when you ask for a review they can and do sometimes review the whole award and it is possible for that to go either way, so you need to be sure of your grounds.

All the best, hope this helpful.

Thank you for getting back, on my DLA it says it's for life or something along them lines, so bit confused, will look for the PiP code map

Thank you

My post about DLA to PIP reassessment (from the sticky PIP thread) should help.

If you were 65 or over on 8 April 2013, you will stay under the DLA system and can report a change of circumstances to the office dealing with your DLA in an attempt to get a higher Care component award. Your Mobility component can be looked at again and there is no guarantee that any new award will be indefinite.

If you were under 65 on 8 April 2013, you need to check the PIP postcode map. If you are in the area where 'natural reassessment' is active, reporting a change of circumstances in an attempt to get a higher DLA award will trigger an unstoppable migration from DLA to PIP. If you are outside that area, you can report a change of circumstances which will be handled under the DLA system as described in the previous paragraph. In due course, everyone on DLA who was not 65 on 8 April 2013 but is over 16 will be reassessed for PIP.

Many thanks for the replys, I looked on the pip post code and it's no ware near me yet