Thread: Paper based report good or bad news

Paper based report good or bad news

hello i just wondered if someone could help i applied for PIP because i have multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative identity disorder), emotionally unstable personality disorder, Ocd symptoms and dyspraxia symptom, I sent in psychiatrist letters stating my diagnosis, today I received this email:

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email

I can confirm that we managed to complete a Paper Based Report for you and you will not need to have an assessment.

The report was produced and sent back to the DWP today for a decision today the 01/07/14.

Kind Regards

Charlotte
    PIP Customer Service Support
    Atos Healthcare

I thought it sounded a positive email but I don't know what do you think
    Thanks

Sounds like they feel you've given enough info for them to make a decision without you needing a face assessment. Not sure it indicates what level of award they will decide on though, so think you'll have to wait until you hear from them. Then if it doesn't fit with what you think should have been given , get further advice.

Hopefully it will be a good outcome . If you can and easier said than done, try to put it to the back of your mind for now, as until you hear from them, no amount of thinking on your part will change anything. Good luck.

I've covered this scenario recently in another thread (and in the thread I linked to from that one). There is a concerted effort to deflect suitable cases away from face to face assessment. Usually these will be cases where there is no hope of an award or clear evidence of the level of functional problems resulting from the disabling condition(s). I suspect your case falls into the latter group.

You can't predict the result - it's a case of waiting.

It may well be towards the end of the month or even early August before you hear anything. It takes a while for the full report to get onto DWP's system for decision, and the process of making and notifying a decision can take 3-4 weeks once that happens.

Louisag - did you get an outcome in the end? Were you pleased?

She only posted just over 24 hours ago, so it is likely to be several weeks before the outcome is known.

Thanks for your input.
    Flymo what you said about the two scenarios was interesting why do you think I'd fall in to the latter. I can think of so many ways Pip could help me and my family especially as then we could apply for carers allowance and the system will finally realise what were up against. I could pay privately for psychotherapy etc
    A support worker said if I don't get it he'd be surprised because of the rarety of my diagnosis.
    It's hard not to think about it

You've provided letters from a psychiatrist indicating you have several potentially disabling conditions. With that in mind I can't believe that you fall into the "no hope of an award" bracket, which suggests that you are being treated as a serious case for PIP based on paperwork alone.

We can only wait and keep our fingers crossed for you.

I looked again at my paperwork I sent in one letter says my diagnosis of multiple personality disorder another is from my care coordinator stating that it's random and I can't predict when I will switch personalities and I've been in danger because of them. I had a psychiatrist , consultant psychologist, support worker and care coordinator who is an ot listed as people to get references from. One letter has a list of about 6 or 8 medications one is injectes.
    I just hope I get it seems to open up a lot more doors for us I could pay for care I'm not always receiving, psychotherapy etc and just that feeling that someone else gets it and believes me, every question I was able to explain how hard things are.

I have my fingers crossed, Louisa. If you are declined, then I'll do what I can in the forums to support you to challenge the decision.

As you say, PIP could open doors to better care for you.

The validation of being awarded PIP is extremely important. I think that is an aspect policy makers often overlook. One reason benefit claims are so demanding when you are sick or disabled is that, for the claimant and those close to them, it is about how the claimant's ongoing journey with their medical condition(s) is seen by officialdom. It is no mere legal argument when the subject material is who you are and how you cope with basic tasks of life.

I don't want to get my hopes up but I feel like I've got it.
    What you said about the validation etc is so true and it makes sense that the people assessing should take it on board. Thank you for your offer of help