Thread: Budgeting / social loans

Budgeting / social loans

Hello

J have a family member's friend who is in need to get a cooker, they are in receipt of esa in the support group on CB? are they able to get any help at all with a small loan, it says for the rules to apply for these social funds only on income related claimants are accepted only?

thanks
    Last edited by Paty01; 01-07-14 at 14:11.

As far as I am aware, it is only for INcome related benefits.
    Income related ESA
    Income Support
    JSA
    etc.
    I think if you are on Housing Bnefit/Council Tax benefit, this also qualifies.
    This is one of the problems, on CB ESA and DLA/PIP you are not able to claim extra help like this, or prescriptions, dental etc.
    I am just about to set up a pre-payment for my prescriptions as I need a minimum of 5 medicatios prescribed each month.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Well, not sure what other people think but because your relative is receiving Contributory Based ESA that means they have some savings.

In my view I'd start exploring different options like the http://www.tenantstips.com/social-se...s#.U7K5VxaTCw8

Turning a non-furnished rental place into part-furnished rental home if owned by a social landlord.

Try the Salvation Army too.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8306417_appl...tion-army.html
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 01-07-14 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well, not sure what other people think but because your relative is receiving Contributory Benefit ESA that means they have some savings.

In my view I's start exploring different options like the http://www.tenantstips.com/social-se...s#.U7K5VxaTCw8

Turning a non-furnished rental place into part-furnished so your rent will go

Try the Salvation Army too.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8306417_appl...tion-army.html
    This is what i understand with CB esa my friend had been working up until she was diagnosed with MS about 11yrs ago now she is in a wheel chair permanently, she has been on the old incapacity benefit for 10yrs then recently changed over to esa and was put into support group CB, she as told them she has no savings and she lives alone?

So why isn't she not able to get extra help, "Why don't they include contribution based ESA as a first qualifier? I feel that this needs addressing!"
    Last edited by Paty01; 05-07-14 at 16:18.

Tell your friend to request, from the DWP office number on her decision/notice letter, and fill in an ESA3 then return it, this will determine whether or not she is eligible for ESA IR make up's/premiums. From what you've said here I would think that she qualifies is a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    Tell your friend to request, from the DWP office number on her decision/notice letter, and fill in an ESA3 then return it, this will determine whether or not she is eligible for ESA IR make up's/premiums. From what you've said here I would think that she qualifies is a certainty.
    hi jard

can you explain about top up premiums, i had read her decision letter it also states that you may be able to get this?
    Last edited by Paty01; 01-07-14 at 15:51.

She needs to fill in an ESA3, as Jard has said. If she has no savings and no income other than Contributions Based ESA, she should qualify for the Enhanced Disability Premium as Income Related ESA because she is in the Support Group. This will give her just over £15/week extra, as well as unlocking all the additional benefits of being on means tested benefit, such as free NHS treatment and prescriptions.

Any DLA or PIP she receives will be ignored as income.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    She needs to fill in an ESA3, as Jard has said. If she has no savings and no income other than Contributions Based ESA, she should qualify for the Enhanced Disability Premium as Income Related ESA because she is in the Support Group. This will give her just over £15/week extra, as well as unlocking all the additional benefits of being on means tested benefit, such as free NHS treatment and prescriptions.

Any DLA or PIP she receives will be ignored as income.
    Thanks everyone for the help and advice, goodness me i had no clue about these extra benefits, my friend had been on esa support group over 12 month now and she didn't know about the top up premiums like me.

thanks
    Last edited by Paty01; 02-07-14 at 10:43.

Hi there,

yes you can get a Budgeting loan! phone them up and ask for the forms, or you can print them of the directgov site, i have had around 4 loan in the 2 years i have been on CB-ESA,

on the paper work it will ask how much you need, make sure you put down more than you need? as they never give you what you ask for, so if your friend need a cooker, you see one that is £200 then ask for £400 when you put the loan in,

it takes about 3 weeks from the time you send the forms in, as they then send you a letter telling you how much you got, and then you have to send that letter back saying yes i'll take the loan, then they will send a 2nd letter out telling you when the money will be paid into your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Paty01 View Post
    Hello

J have a family member's friend who is in need to get a cooker, they are in receipt of esa in the support group on CB? are they able to get any help at all with a small loan, it says for the rules to apply for these social funds only on income related claimants are accepted only?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcus6 View Post
    Hi there,

yes you can get a Budgeting loan! phone them up and ask for the forms, or you can print them of the directgov site, i have had around 4 loan in the 2 years i have been on CB-ESA,

on the paper work it will ask how much you need, make sure you put down more than you need? as they never give you what you ask for, so if your friend need a cooker, you see one that is £200 then ask for £400 when you put the loan in,

it takes about 3 weeks from the time you send the forms in, as they then send you a letter telling you how much you got, and then you have to send that letter back saying yes i'll take the loan, then they will send a 2nd letter out telling you when the money will be paid into your bank.
    hi marcus6

when i called for my friend they told me that she needed to have income related on her benefit? so she is now going to apply for the extra premium top up she has sent the esa 3 form off now, can she then apply for the budgeting loan when they say she can have IR?

Thanks