Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a bit shell shocked

Feeling a bit shell shocked

I haven't been at all well for the past two days. I worked too hard trying to meet an upcoming deadline and my health crumpled yesterday, forcing my family to send me to bed before I collapsed.

I heard last night that someone I admire and respect has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease. I'm finding it hard to get my head around this, possibly because it's not that far from my own illness. The key difference is that my illness is very slowly progressive, whereas MND is often rapidly progressive. My energy levels have plummeted further and I recognise I'm deeply emotionally shocked.

I realise that the best thing to do is be gently alongside, expressing solidarity and an openness to talk if those things are wanted. After all, knowing people care whilst respecting your privacy is so important.

sorry to hear of you're friend flymo yes all you can do is give a shoulder
    try and get some rest yourself before you reach total burnout
    sending you a great big HUG xx

Thanks.

If I could burst into tears this morning, I would - though my illness has taken my outward tears from me. I am in incredible pain from pushing my sick body too hard, then the Rolf Harris verdicts came in (I'm a sex abuse survivor, and went through something of a flashback last night, also I know others who will likely be struggling with all this), then the phone call came about my friend.

I have to pick myself up to get to Monty Python in London tonight. It's probably what I need, but I'm struggling to find the strength to get in the bathroom, let alone for the rest of the day.

I can't help anyone else if I collapse myself, so I'm particularly grateful for a hug.

Sorry to hear about your friend Flymo. MND is such an awful disease. My Aunt went through this many years ago and it was devastating. Obviously it is a huge shock and a lot to take in. I fully understand you wanting to be there for your friend, that in itself shows what a lovely person you are. A lot of so-called friends deserted my Aunt and she found that extremely hard.
    Please be mindful of your own health and limitations though. You give such help, advice and support to others, I hate to think of you suffering more because of this. Try and take some time out for yourself, we all need that "me time", whether it is to do things we enjoy, or just to rest and recharge our batteries.
    Sending thoughts and hugs to you and your friend x
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Oh Flymo so wish I was able to help you like you help so many others
    please get some rest today as Monty Python deserves your utmost attention (so envious my even get my box set out and watch it with my youngest before my OH and eldest come home from work as they just don't get it but me and youngest love it )

be kind to yourself today and enjoy tonight xx

If you have access to Gold on your television, the final night of this run of shows on 20 July is being televised live from the O2. This will probably be the last night of the Pythons - that's how it's being billed.

If you don't have access to Gold, I expect there will be a DVD in due course.

Sending as many gentle hugs as you need Flymo. You are a wonderful, kind and loving person and I wish you a good day's rest followed by a superb evening out.
    Last edited by firebird; 01-07-14 at 09:41.

I'll wait for the DVD as OH has had his sense of humour surgically removed how can anyone sit through The Life of Brian and not crack a smile is beyond me xx

I am so sorry to hear this.

Please try and rest as much as you can..I can only echo what others have already said. *sends hugs your way*

To get you in the mood for tonight

http://www.channel4.com/news/10-reas...ors_picks=true