Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disability Number?

Disability Number?

I wonder if any of you kind folks could let me know where I would find my disability registration number please?

I am presuming that it would be the number on my Blue Badge.. is that correct?

I'm trying to fill out a form and that's what I need it for.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated..

It would help if we knew what form you are filling in. If it's to do with being registered disabled, you'll have to ask your council's social services department.

Though there is still a statutory requirement to maintain registers of disabled people, they have long since ceased to be of any real effect and I have absolutely no idea whether I'm registered disabled or not. Most likely I was added automatically when I applied for a Blue Badge.

Most things rely on benefit entitlements or the Equality Act 2010 definition of disability these days, though the registers of blind and visually impaired people remain important.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    It would help if we knew what form you are filling in. If it's to do with being registered disabled, you'll have to ask your council's social services department.

Though there is still a statutory requirement to maintain registers of disabled people, they have long since ceased to be of any real effect and I have absolutely no idea whether I'm registered disabled or not. Most likely I was added automatically when I applied for a Blue Badge.

Most things rely on benefit entitlements or the Equality Act 2010 definition of disability these days, though the registers of blind and visually impaired people remain important.
    Thanks for that Flymo..The form or actually letter that I have to send is for reclaiming VAT on a rollator (walker).
    I have a letter from my doctor confirming my disability which was given to me for another occasion so I think I will send a copy of that which will hopefully suffice.

That sounds like some odd rule by a particular supplier.

The model declaration for VAT exemption in VAT Notice 701/7 just requires your full name, address, a full and specific description of your disability, a description of the goods or services in relation to which you are claiming exemption, your signature and the date.

If your doctor has written a letter describing your disability and you are happy to provide it, that may reassure the supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Charisse View Post
    I wonder if any of you kind folks could let me know where I would find my disability registration number please?

I am presuming that it would be the number on my Blue Badge.. is that correct?

I'm trying to fill out a form and that's what I need it for.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated..
    How is it that I know what he means even though it's a long time before I was born!

After World War Two many injured solders returned from war with promises of jobs on their return.

Each company was told that 3% of their workforce had to be made up of disabled people. Disabled people were given a 'green card' and registration number to show employers when applying for a job.

It didn't work then as companies could choose to 'opt out' of the system. Although companies could be fined for not employing any disabled people only a handful ever were.

So Charisse I assume that's what you were referring too.

Actually, there used to be two forms of registration that were termed "registered disabled".

One register was for employment purposes under the Disabled Persons (Employment) Act 1944 - that's the green card system Lighttouch refers to. It was an ineffective system that was mostly ignored and only ever led to a handful of prosecutions. The parts of the 1944 Act relating to the register and employment quotas were repealed in 1996 when section 61 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 came into effect.

The other register is to allow local authorities to discharge their duty under section 1(1) of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 to inform themselves of the number of physically disabled adults in their area (in the now outdated language of the underlying 1948 legislation "persons aged eighteen or over who are blind, deaf or dumb, and other persons aged eighteen or over who are substantially and permanently handicapped by illness, injury, or congenital deformity or such other disabilities as may be prescribed by the Minister").

This duty is effectively obsolete, as its place has been taken by all manner of statistical information from the benefits system and NHS. Almost all local authorities have quietly forgotten about the registers they once kept, as there are substantial costs attached to registering people and the information given at registration goes out of date over time. Some local authorities still register people and a few still issue their own local registration cards, but these are almost meaningless as there are no agreed criteria.

When the Care Act 2014 is brought into operation, what is arguable the most important part of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 to be repealed. The 1970 Act was a seminal piece of legislation, being the first modern legislation in relation to disability, but those provisions have served their time as they no longer reflects the modern social care system.

Apart from the social care provisions that are likely to be repealed in coming years, most of what remains of the 1970 Act is obsolescent if not actually obsolete. However, the 1970 Act does contain some important provisions that are still relevant.

Section 20 Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 is the underlying power for The Use of Invalid Carriages on Highways Regulations 1988 (SI 1988/2688), which is the law governing the use of wheelchairs, powerchairs and scooters.

Section 21 Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 (as amended numerous times) governs the Blue Badge scheme and, amongst other things, requires local authorities to keep a register of Badge holders. I'm a little surprised that when there was an short amending Act of Parliament to these powers in 2013 (The Disabled Persons' Parking Badges Act 2013) that the opportunity was not taken to repeal section 21 of the 1970 Act and replace it with a separate standalone Act.

As I said in my initial reply, disability is most commonly defined using the definition in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. If there is a need for a more precise targeting of a particular group, this is either done by reference to something that proves membership of a particular group of disabled people (Blue Badge, registered blind, registered partially sighted, disabled person's concessionary travel permit) or by reference to disability benefits.

I'm occasionally asked if I'm registered disabled, usually for a discount on admission to a venue or similar. I simply say "yes" - as I have a Blue Badge, my local authority know who I am, where I live and that I have a physical disability. Whether I'm on a separate register that they have likely never kept (they're a fairly new unitary authority) and that is impossible for outsiders to check if it does exist is irrelevant.

Mostly, the question isn't asked. Being a power chair user, it's fairly obvious I am disabled. I most definitely meet the s. 6 Equality Act 2010 definition of a disabled person, have a disabled concessionary travel permit (including the local "with carer" extension), and have both the Daily Living and Mobility components of PIP at the enhanced rate.

About 20 years ago I recall ringing up my local council (Manchester at the time) and asking about registering as a disabled person. I'm not sure why but it was in response to a comment from someone else and I think I thought at the time it might help re work. I was told that there was no such thing and there was no need to register as disabled and no benefit in doing so. Regardless of whether their advice was correct, I would imagine that few disabled people are on any such register.

The number on your blue badge is the badge number - nothing more, nothing less.

I was also told that there was no such thing when I tried to register with my council about 10 years ago.

Its true that the Blue Badge number is not for any other purpose than a number for the records.

There is no link to any list by the Blue Badge section to a register for disabled people.
    Any person with a disability can register this with their local council, I have with mine, but it seems all councils dont do this. Also blind and partially sighted can register but this again is not an automatic addition to any list.

In answer to the original question, Im also surprised that you were asked for proof of a disability, after all if you choose to not pay VAT on a purchase it would be you who would be questioned and not the supplier.
    A list of medication can also be used for verification of a disability, so Im told.
    Last edited by RubyRed; 02-07-14 at 17:39.

Hi all,
    I recently had a home assessment from Social Services regarding direct payment and the Social Worker raised the question wether im registered disabled to which i replied im not aware of , so she told me she was going to get in touch with my G.P. to get me registered as disabled.
    Just thought it worth mentioning on this thread as food for thought. X
    Last edited by Fieldymouse21; 02-07-14 at 17:53. Reason: spelling