Thread: Do kwik-Fit mix and match tyres

Do kwik-Fit mix and match tyres

Do Kwik-Fit just fit any brand tyre to the cars. The reason I ask, is the mother in laws car over the last 3 years has had 3 replaced, and all of them are different makes and tread pattern. One was just a week after getting her car due to a puncture in the sidewall. They fitted a brand I've never heard of, that had a totally different tread pattern to the other front tyre.
    Last edited by Mr-Grumpy; 29-06-14 at 23:52.

Having had a tyre changed by Kwikfit last month I can shed some light on their procedures.
    In my experience Motability lease hire car tyres are replaced 'like for like'. If your car has Premium car tyres fitted as standard then that's what you'll get.

The trouble arises when you're a private vehicle owner as you will be more price sensitive.

Last time I was offered a choice of three different prices from budget to premium. As I hadn't a clue I just said just change 'like for like'.
    You get what you pay for so maybe that's why all the tyre treads are different on the vehicle you mentioned or the spare tyre has been put on at some stage.
    I found Kwikfit's customer service spot on.

On a motability car they should replace the exact make and model of tyre that is already on the car if possible or at least a suitable premium brand. Although I'm sure manufacturers of cars and tyre companies do "deals" to get the cheapest price many cars are tyre sensitive and a manufacturer will want a certain level of performance, wear and noise. My old Picasso came with Michelins and the one time I had a puncture needing a replacement I could only get a Firestone. It upset the handling of the car and I had to get another Michelin to replace it. Maybe if I'd put four Firestones on it would have been different...

Since the EU tyre labelling came out on all tyres you can see the different pros and cons for wet grip, fuel efficiency and noise.
    If they give you different wheels how you supposed to know which is working the best for you? surely, all 4 should be the same or at least the front 2 the same and the back 2 the same.

At minimum, you should really have identical tyres on each axle. The original equipment tyres are often chosen quite carefully, and the car can handle differently if you change brand or even if you change model, so I prefer to stick with the original tyres where possible.

However, the time comes with an older car where the original tyres are no longer available. I reached the point with my Zafira where I needed four new tyres, and as the cost and longevity of Michelin really wasn't justified by the limited life remaining on the car, I took the advice of a respected local independent tyre fitter to switch the car to Goodyear rather than a later Michelin tyre that would have cost much more. The ride was much better on Goodyear than on the old Michelin tyres, as the sidewalls on the old tyres were no longer supple enough to absorb impacts well.

In the past, people were often advised to rotate tyres, especially as the majority of cars are front wheel drive where the front tyres wear faster. The most common advice now is not to do this, as poor rear tyres can lead to the rear axle losing grip leading to oversteer on, in the worst case, a skid that is difficult to recover. Loss of grip at the front leads to understeer, which is easier to recover from instinctively.

As is so often the case, it's a mistake to look at the cost of a tyre in isolation. Often people are tempted to look for the cheapest tyres they can find, but it only takes a small increase in fuel efficiency or tyre life for a more expensive tyre to work out cheaper across its usable life.

So far as EU tyre labelling goes, it provides a basis for comparisons, but as with EU fuel comparison figures, it only gives information on performance under defined narrow conditions. The manufacturers know how to design products that maximise performance under test conditions, meaning the test figures are not then representative of real world performance. In other words, the tyre performance ratings are a starting point in comparing the performance of different tyres, but do not tell the whole story.

The car manufacturers tend to get deals from tyre manufacturers anyway. Zafiras used to come with Continental Contact 3's as standard which are still available. They were a great tyre on my Zafira, quiet and long lasting. They are a bit pricey but not as much as Michelins. My last new car came with Michelin tyres and they were fantastic. Expensive to replace unfortunately but worth it if you can afford them. I always have the same tyres on each axle.

There is no legal requirement (eg to pass MoT) for any of the tyres to be the same. The only requirement, which is virtually obsolete now as they haven't made crossplies for many years, is that you can't have a radial and a crossply on the same axle.

After kerbing my car Kwik Fit came and fitted a replacement for me. The car came with Michelin Primacys but Kwick Fit fitted new Goodyears. When I checked on reviews on Autocar the Goodyear is actually a better tyre in all respects. As long as the size and type match there isn't a problem. Mine are a slightly unusual size apparently and heavy load (95 rating). Would've preferred the same but not to be this time. I haven't noticed any difference at all.