Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper based review for my son's PIP

Paper based review for my son's PIP

Hello everyone

I am new here and found this site whilst googling about paper based reviews.

My son is 16 years old and I have applied for PIP on his behalf after his renewal for DLA was received late and closed - this was because of incorrect advice I had received from a DWP helpline advisor but that's a different story!

My son's assessment was passed to ATOS on 3 March. I telephoned them a few weeks ago as we had not heard anything and I wanted to know how much longer we would need to wait for an assessment as my son was getting himself worked up about it and I had asked them on the application form to give us as much notice as possible due to his anxieties and rigidity with routines. I was shocked but pleased to hear that they were not calling him for a f2f assessment as they could do a paper based review instead as they had enough information and had sought further information from different professionals - I am assuming GP, special school and the ed psych although I do not know for certain. I had enclosed a lot of information with the application including his statement which has OT reports and ed psych reports too. I was so relieved that my son wouldn't have to go through the f2f assessment as it would cause him so much stress. He cannot cope with change at all or meeting new people. He is on autistic spectrum and very rigid in his thought processes. Just a visit to see people he knows causes him a lot of anxiety never mind someone he doesn't know so I was relieved as was he that he wouldn't need to go through the f2f assessment.

I have read on another site that it isn't a common thing to have a paper based review and it may actually go against him as the HCA will only pull information from the reports etc. Has anyone had a paper based assessment and been successful?

All PIP cases go through paper based review at the assessment providers. DWP and the assessment providers are aiming to reduce the proportion of PIP claimants called for face to face assessment by avoiding unnecessary face to face assessments.

We have had one example of PIP without a face to face assessment on these forums, which resulted in an award of enhanced rate Daily Living and standard rate Mobility. If you click the coloured words, you can read that thread.

I don't believe the lack of a face to face assessment will disadvantage your son, as the onus is on the assessment provider to send a complete assessment report whether or not there is a face to face assessment. If they felt they didn't have enough information, he should have been called for face to face assessment. You provided a lot of information and opened up access to the professionals working with your son. Arguably, his PIP assessment has been handled on a more accurate and humane basis than putting your son through the distress of face to face assessment.

If you are unhappy with the decision, your son will have the same reconsideration and appeal rights as someone who had undergone face to face assessment.

Hi Flymo

Thanks for replying and the link. I'll have a read.

The DWP now have his assessment report and have advised they will be in touch in due course.

It's good to know that we will have the same right of appeal if need be.

Thanks again.

can I ask you what the incorrect info you were given was, as I have twice now been told that my son,s DLA has been extended due to pip taking a long time and am nervous that this may not be correct

Hi Deebee. My son's dla renewal was due to expire over the Christmas holiday period and I hadn't realised that I needed school to fill in a part of the form. I had the pack ready to send off except the part mentioned above and I rang the helpline to ask if I could send the pack as it was and send the school bit at a later date or to send it all together. I was advised it was best to send it all at the same time and to put a cover letter with his renewal explaining why it was late. I sent it only 2 days after the deadline and they closed his dla case and referred us to the new pip process. All the effort applying for adult dla for nothing. I wrote and complained and they apologised and gave us £50. That wound me up even more as he's lost at least 8 weeks hrc and lrm and has nothing now til he's assessed for pip.

I believe had the dwp given the right information and I had sent his dla renewal pack he would have been awarded until transferring to the pip scheme in due course.

Do you have it in writing about your son's extension? I know they will write if ceasing it early.

I also now to ask to speak to a case worker. Not the helpline advisors and I always jot down who I have spoken to and when! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera74 View Post
    I sent it only 2 days after the deadline and they closed his dla case and referred us to the new pip process. All the effort applying for adult dla for nothing. I wrote and complained and they apologised and gave us £50. That wound me up even more as he's lost at least 8 weeks hrc and lrm and has nothing now til he's assessed for pip.
    The date of your son's PIP claim will be the date DWP received the rejected DLA claim. As he has had the problems that should qualify him for PIP for three months on that date, any PIP award should start from the date of claim.

The effect is that he should only lose two days of benefit and you will know where you stand under PIP rather than wondering when your son will be selected for reassessment from DLA to PIP. There are advantages of PIP for people in your son's position - in particular, if his problems with "planning and following journeys" are severe enough to lead to the selection of a descriptor with 12 points attached, he can get enhanced rate Mobility. Under DLA, someone who has no physical problems walking can only be awarded lower rate Mobility.

I've been in a similar position to your son with a rejected DLA renewal claim - see the sticky PIP thread for details.

The rejection of the DLA claim was because any late claim is subject to a requirement to show "good cause". As you have known about the deadline for some time, needing a few more days to get the paperwork together is not regarded as "good cause" - it would have to be something out of your control such as being in hospital unexpectedly. Sadly, you are not the first person to be given incorrect and misleading advice by DWP over the phone - as you have realised, those on the helpdesk are glorified call centre operators.

Hopefully all will be well with the PIP claim and PIP will be awarded. If that is the case, PIP should be paid back to the date of claim, you can made a backdated claim for Carer's Allowance within three months of any PIP award if Carer's Allowance is relevant to your son's circumstances, and you can hopefully put this nightmare behind you.

If you son's DLA renewal was due during the Christmas holidays, he would have reached 20 weeks from the end of his last DLA award before 6 October 2013, which would have meant his renewal claim to move to adult benefit would be handled under the DLA system. Those reaching that point after 6 October 2013 should have been required to apply for PIP, but the national roll-out of 'natural reassessment' from DLA to PIP was scrapped in favour of a slower partial roll-out as DWP realised the delays that had already built up in the PIP assessment system meant it couldn't cope with anything other than new claims at that point.

Once you son's DLA claim was late without "good cause", it was treated as a new claim and had to be handled under the PIP system.

deebee's position is a little different, as her son reached 20 weeks from the end of his previous DLA award after 6 October 2013 but outside the 'natural reassessment' area (which only covers around a third of Great Britain). DWP are sometimes electing to extend a DLA award of someone outside the 'natural reassessment' area rather than requiring renewal.

Hi Flymo. I just assumed he'd lose out for the time in between. When I wrote and complained to the DWP they didn't mention his claim being from when they received his DLA adult referral form although they did say that had been sent to PIP and that was why they had sent me the PIP2 form. I will wait to see what the outcome is then look into seeing if they will backdate it to when I sent the form. I sent it recorded too so I have my evidence Yes I have certainly learned my lesson in believing anything the helpdesk people tell me!

You're doing the right thing OP. Keep a record of absolutely everything. Assign it its very own file or draw etc and make a note of times and dates of calls and letters sent etc.

Good luck to you and your boy.

It should be automatic that any PIP award runs from the date DWP received the DLA form, so your son should only miss out on 3-5 days of benefit in total (as you sent the form 2 days after the deadline, and DWP should have received it between 1 and 3 days after you sent it). If this is not the case, we can look at what has happened when the decision is made and challenge the date.