Thread: About to get a new car on Motability Scheme for first time.

Wink About to get a new car on Motability Scheme for first time.

I am looking at estate cars on Motability and would like opinions on my final two choices.
    I need it to house a electric scooter hoist and boot scooter and of course Two springer spaniels in the boot space.
    So been looking for something that is very economical and spacious, after some consideration and advice from friends and family I am looking at the Seat Leon 1.6L Tdi Estate and the Skoda Octavia 1.6L Tdi estate both very economical on fuel and with great boot capacity.
    Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles? and is there anything you could/would of added etc after leasing?
    I will be looking at a fully automatic vehicle with no driving adaptions required but will be looking to add ACC because my arthritic ankle gets 'TIRED' and stiff after a while of driving.
    This will be my first ever vehicle on the scheme but I am no stranger to Estate vehicles but this is my first time in a brand spanking new car!!!
    Just got my new DLA Awarded for 'Indefinite' period!

Someone else will probably know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda and Seat are pretty much the same car, albeit with a different badge and trim package. Most major car groups use the same platform across their brands, with common engines and mechanical components.

The only caution I have is that unless you were 65 on 8 April 2013, you will eventually be reassessed from DLA to PIP notwithstanding your indefinite DLA award. This process is due to start in October 2015, though it might land up being delayed if DWP and the assessment contractors don't solve the delays that are currently affecting PIP assessments.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Just got my new DLA Awarded for 'Indefinite' period!
    Just want to pick up on one point, that it is not indefinite in the sense that you will be assessed for PIP in a few years, it could be as soon as October 2015, which is a year and a few months away.

Unless of course you were 65 on April 2013. If so, you wont be assessed for PIP.

One thing you will really need to research is how much boot height you will need for a hoist to go over your scooter and for it to be able to lift the scooter clear of the boot floor before swinging the scooter out on the hoist. Plus you will need a hoist with a 'safe lifting weight' to lift whatever is the weight of your scooter. If there is a 'lip' on the boot it will also need to be taken into consideration. Also you have to take into account the 'balance' beam and how the fittings will attach to your scooter so it lifts it in and out level.

If you speak with the hoist manufacturers listed on the motability website here:

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and...in-car-systems

and tell them what type of scooter you have, they should be able to advise what combinations of vehicles and hoists can safely lift and house your scooter. Some may need to use all the boot floor (ie with all the rear seats folded down, part of the rear seat folded, or none of the rear seats folded). Not forgetting the scooter will also need to be 'tied down' when in the boot so it doesn't get propelled forwards in an accident so they need to find 'strong points' to secure the retaining straps.

Previously I have spoken to the car dealers about hoist and scooter/wheelchair clearances etc and most were pretty clueless saying 'it may fit' or 'it should fit'. You need to know it will definitely fit before ordering your car, hence speaking with the actual hoist manufacturers/installers who know what fits with what.

Paul
    Last edited by PaulG; 25-06-14 at 12:52.

Thanks for your input PaulG, I will definitely will call the manufacturer. I think Motability will be looking at getting me an assessment and someone from an adaptions installer will do home demo's and visit to match suitability of my needs etc.... in regards to cars/hoists and the what nots - fingers crossed. x

Some useful reviews regarding Estate cars currently on the scheme http://www.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/category/estate-cars/

The charity Ricability will be able to help with internal dimensions for your hoist - http://www.rica.org.uk/content/car-search

As mentioned above, the Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia are the same car underneath, although I believe the Skoda is slightly larger - the VW Golf Estate is also on the same MQB platform.

You need to test drive them to find out there differences but as a quickie: Seat tend to aim their cars at the young "sporty" end of the market and Skoda at the more mature "comfortable" driver.

This link reviews the Seat in a video http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/se...-estate/review (sister website for Auto Express)
    and again for the Octavia http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/sk.../estate/review

Their reviews tend to be unbiased and you can email them for advise too - which I've done in the past.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

thanks Paul this is great! the links and info are awesome, going to read up on all the info....

I terminated my contract early in Feb the year and changed to a VW Golf Estate. I got the car in April. I needed a bigger boot as I got a wheelchair for long distance. I would recommended it as it's a superb car. Boot's excellent and very practical. Wheelchair fits easily. Fuel economy is very good. I drive the 1.6 TDI DSG. I get about 59-60mpg. It has stop and start technology, which takes some getting used to. It has an electric parking brake with auto hold. It has adaptive cruise control which is very useful on long journeys. I drove a Golf mk6 hatchback previously, find the estate slightly higher up driving position. Has all the kit, auto lights, wipers,Bluetooth,DAB radio.

It cost me £749 advance payment, but got £407 back pro rata from my last advance payment.